Yahoo helps China jail dissidents?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 2jaded2care, Feb 10, 2006.

1. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2003
    Reporters Without Borders accuses Yahoo of helping jail Chinese dissidents/ Internet users:

Saw this on ABC News last night and was appalled. Seems to me the Internet was our idea, it's our tool (for now), and this isn't what it should be about. Guess this is what happens when your businesses get in bed with China.

(Maybe this belongs in the Political forum, but it is current and Internet-related...)
  2. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2005
    Whose tool? You don't really think the U.S. can legitimately set the rules for internet usage in other countries.
  3. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

May 10, 2005
    Mesa, AZ
    The U.S. pretty much controls the internet... also this is a U.S. based company. If it was a chinese company bowing down to their oppressive, evil country, it would be one thing, but this a company that should support the ideals of freedom and self expression, not help jail people because they show dissent to their government. It would be interesting to see if the U.S. tries to do something about it, I wish they would, and they might be in legal grounds to seeing yahoo is u.s. based. I for one find this horrible and another reason to not use a single yahoo service.