Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcsekhar

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
This also works

Righ click on the yahoo account created with the imap settings. Change port number to 993 in the advanced tab. It brings in all folders.

ashok77

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
Hey Steve,

Thanks for all the info and great little video. I finally have my Yahoo set up and i'm loving it.

A couple of questions though. More often then not i get a message saying the smtp.mail.yahoo.com is offline but everything seems to be fine, have you encountered this at all? Also, while the folders show up in apple mail now (including subfolders) any message i do send out using the smtp.mail.yahoo.com server don't show up under the Sent folder. I have the preferences set to "store sent messages on the server", i have taken the account offline and back online and checked the ports (465 and 993) but still no Sent messages on the Yahoo server. Any ideas?

Thanks!

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
I have mine setup as an IMAP acct, but it doesn't seem to instantaneously "push" the email to the Mail app....is there a setting i can change to do that?

msu1972

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
i have follow what you guys have mention about setting up the outgoing server but for some reason i can not send mail out.

every time i try to send mail out i would get a message that says "cannon send message using the server Yahoo" it would show that it's (Offline) so i'm not sure what else to do to correct this problem.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

findjoshgo

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2012
Might have changed

I have Mac mail 5.1 on lion OSX and simply tried adding a new yahoo account and it set it up automatically with IMAP. The same thing happened for my google account if people are swapping across to IMAP Google.

the settings were identical except for incoming mail server which was "imap.mail.yahoo.com"

Hope this helps
:)

carlRC

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
San Francisco, CA
New Yahoo IMAP account works, old accounts (stuck with POP?) don't

Actually I recently found a workaround for this issue. Unfortunately our friends in Cupertino assume everyone's an idiot and needs their account set up automatically. Mail 4.4 does not give you the option of configuring a manual setup, so here's what you need to do:

• Set up or edit an e-mail account
  • Use an incorrect password
  • Now the setup will fail and you can configure manually
  • Change the mail account type from POP to IMAP
  • Incoming server is imap.mail.yahoo.com Port 993
  • Outgoing server is smtp.mail.yahoo.com Port 465

That's the short version if you know what you're doing. If not I posted a short tutorial on YouTube with screen shots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAMHUuz49Wo

Steve, thanks very much for this reply, which identifies all the correct elements of a working IMAP configuration.
I did manage to create a new Yahoo account using these settings.

However, I was not able to modify old accounts as per the video. I have Mail 4.5, which does not show a drop-down for (or allow another way of editing) the Account Type (POP or IMAP), regardless of whether or not the "trick" of using the wrong password is applied. Even when I change the Incoming Mail Server setting manually from pop... or plus.pop... to imap.mail.yahoo.com, I still see the POP Account Type at top, and the account seems not to be capable of downloading any mail.
So now I have two Apple Mail accounts for my personal Yahoo account, one IMAP with recent mail, and one POP with older mail. (And the new IMAP account seems to have retrieved mail only up to a year ago, and not to be trying to retrieve more.)

I also have another Yahoo account that I use for email from clubs and community organizations of which I'm a member. I similarly have not gotten this to work.
At first I thought this might have been due to:
(a) leaving the "plus" prefix when changing the account type to "imap" in the Incoming Mail Server setting;
(b) using the same port (993) for IMAP as my personal Yahoo account.
However, so far as (a), removing the "plus" (not needed for IMAP?) did not make it work, and so far as (b), having the same port setting (the old 995 for POP) for two Yahoo accounts worked before.
So it must be (c), the same as for my old personal Yahoo account, that the Account Type at top remains POP even when I've modified the Incoming Mail Server setting to be IMAP.

So my questions are now:
1. Is there a way to change the Account Setting at top from POP to IMAP in Mail 4.5? It doesn't seem so...
2. If not, then must I create new accounts to use IMAP?
3. If I do create new accounts (as I've successfully done for my personal Yahoo mail), how can I get the new accounts to retrieve ALL of my old mail? Why aren't they doing this anyway?

Also, I'm just curious:
4. What actually relevant setting - that has not been set manually elsewhere - does the Account Type value equal to "POP" use in communicating with the mail server that makes just manually changing the Incoming Mail Server setting to imap.mail.yahoo.com NOT work?? I'm not aware of any such in the mail protocols (although my familiarity with those is a very hazy memory at present).

Thanks!

Best,
carlRC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.