1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Yahoo Launches New Streamlined Mail Client for iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 11, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yahoo today launched an all new mail client across several platforms, including iOS, Windows 8, Android, and the Web.

According to Yahoo CEO Marissa Meyer, speed and ease of use were the focus during the redesign of Yahoo! Mail.
    The new Yahoo! Mail app features a simple, clean interface with Yahoo's signature purple accents. It is similar in design to Sparrow, with an uncluttered inbox and a collapsible folder pane on the left side of the screen. The app has push notifications, infinite scroll, and quick photo insertion.

An additional blog post from from Vivek Sharma, General Manager of Yahoo! Mail and Messenger, states that Yahoo! Mail's underlying performance has been enhanced, making it faster to read and compose messages.
    Yahoo! Mail for iOS, which launched today in the App Store, is available for iPhone users. Yahoo! Mail apps for Windows 8 and Android are also available today, and the web version will roll over the next few days.

Article Link: Yahoo Launches New Streamlined Mail Client for iPhone

2. macrumors 6502a

camomac

Cool. I'll give it a try. Been just using the regular mail app on my phone. I'll see if it is better.

3. macrumors 6502a

I love it - I've been waiting forever for this. Finally, it looks like Yahoo Mail might be rescued. Have been using my Gmail app instead of Mail on my iPhone and looking forward to using this really nice Yahoo app as well. Mail is simply too limited. I think Apple ought to start developing its own iCloud app if they haven't already.

4. macrumors regular

I have to say the standalone Mail app in iOS is really nice and refined feature wise, but could use some upgrades UI wise along with the rest of the system (not too drastic please :) ). Those standalone mail apps are looking really nice.

5. macrumors regular

I just feel as the native iOS mail app is just fine for yahoo. (Not that I use yahoo)

6. macrumors newbie

No threaded/conversation mode and doesn't automatically word wrap top most email. Boo.

7. macrumors 65816

kirky29

All these other mail apps are making the default app look so crappy and dated!

I wish Apple would add their stock apps to the App Store and just do more regular updates! Once or twice a year just isn't good enough now!

Or at least....let us select default apps! I'm using Chrome and Gmail on my iPhone/iPad all the time now!

8. macrumors 6502a

People who are still using Yahoo as their main email client, should be disconnected from the Internet for life.

9. macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I really like that design scheme. I would love for iOS I adopt somethin similar. Not the coloring, but I really like the side menu (ie: this app, YouTube) where it drops over from the side, without taking you away from the current screen.

10. macrumors regular

Looks good, but it seems to only use my Yahoo contacts.

I maintain my contacts in iCloud now, so unless there's a way to point the app there, it won't work for me.

11. macrumors regular

The biggest problem with Yahoo is the spam. Their filter is horrible. My experience has been that gmail and icloud are much better.

12. macrumors 6502a

Truffy

Perhaps what mail app requires is a new person to oversee human interface design, rather than that Forstall chap.

Oh.

13. macrumors 603

Carlanga

I didn't know people still used Yahoo mail :p

14. macrumors 68020

Pretty decent (although I am not a fan of purple), but it needs multiple accounts with unified inbox, integration with iOS contacts, and iPad support.

15. Verbatim Cookie, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012

macrumors regular

But not Windows Phone 8. Ha. EDIT 2:EDIT: Nor Windows RT. Heh. Ooops :eek:

It's worked almost flawlessly for me. Then again, I hardly use my Yahoo Mail address for anything.

16. macrumors 601

Razeus

The only reason I have a Yahoo account is because of Flickr.

17. macrumors 6502a

coder12

Back in the day, Yahoo! had one of the best (first) mobile websites for iPad. It's too bad I switched away from them :)

18. macrumors 68040

Marissa, what we'd really like is access to our Yahoo mailboxes from desktop IMAP/POP clients. You know, like every other email provider on the planet?

19. macrumors 68020

Setting up IMAP on your mobile device

20. macrumors regular

I agree. I'm deleting 40-60 messages a day from my Bulk Mail folder.

----------

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean... I receive my Yahoo mail in my Apple Mail app on my desktop using imap.mail.yahoo.com

21. macrumors regular

My biggest complaint about Yahoo mail is that every few weeks my password stops working. The only solution I have found is to delete my Yahoo account in Apple mail and then add it back with the same password. This sometimes doesn't even work and I have to wait for something to occur on the Yahoo side before I get mail again. This can take as long as a day.

22. macrumors member

Didn't you mean AOL?

23. macrumors 6502a

24. macrumors 68020

literally night and day. SO MUCH spam with Yahoo!. literally none with iCloud and Gmail. maybe 1 piece of spam a year with Gmail, MAYBE.

25. macrumors 68000

ThunderSkunk

I used to love Yahoo messenger and mail. Even used it as my Apple ID. Over the years, being inundated with spam, seeing reduced & limited features, and thwarting an insane attempt to get users to pay $20/mo for the service, I've demoted it to my "signups" address. It's always getting hacked or corrupted or some damn thing. ...until finally, someone got in, changed my password, alternate email, and security questions. Great. My Apple Store rcpt went there, and I can't get at it for Applecare purposes. Sent inquiries to Yahoo, & they never even bothered responding once. I just finished changing everything over once and for all, abandoning Yahoo forever.

Looking at all the cluttered garbage on their home page, I can only wonder how it is they can still even exist.