Yahoo! Messenger Now Available in App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 7, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Yahoo! Messenger for iPhone [App Store, Free] is now available in the App Store.

Yahoo! announced the upcoming availability of the application and posted a video preview of the instant messaging application last week to demonstrate several of its features. The announcement was made in conjunction with the release of a new Yahoo! Mobile site and iPhone application.

Article Link: Yahoo! Messenger Now Available in App Store

2. macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

is it just me or is Yahoo dead... maybe its the lack of POP3 and the 200 chat clients that feature Yahoo messaging..

3. macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

Not available in the UK store

I'm not sure it's relevant in the UK anymore though, at one time it was huge! Everyone seemed to be using it, but then msn took over and yahoo seemed to do nothing as an IM client

It's always good to have options though, but I just don't know anyone who uses it anymore in the UK..... actually I know one :) mind you she also signs into msn at the same time, so pointless really

Jay

5. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'll give it a shot; though still worried about all those bugs with the initial Yahoo app.....:eek::eek::eek:

6. macrumors member

Contacts don't seem to load in firmware 3.0. Anyone else have this proble
    ?

7. macrumors newbie

not available in Greek store. hmmm. i wonder some times how hard is to let an app go world wide available? how an app is gonna succeed if it available only in US?

8. macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Contacts Not Loading on 2G

WiFi connection, and it shows Connecting..... after loggin on and in the Contacts screen.

Forget this post... my bad.

I was logging into Yahoo Messenger under a mail alias. It seemed to log in and hung on Connecting...

Once I logged out of Messenger, then back in under my correct email login, it worked fine.

9. macrumors member

I agree. The day I actually use a chat client for all the services I've signed up for individually is the day I need to have my computer/phone taken away from me. There are too many multi-service clients out there for me to run to the App Store to get this one.

What? A year too late, Y!, huh?

10. macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Yahoo! Messenger can connect to the MSN network (or at least, you can message people on MSN with Y! Messenger), making this indeed noteworthy.

11. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yahoo Messenger is working fine, just need to add other contacts....:cool::cool::cool:

12. zos
    macrumors newbie

Not available in Canadian Store as Well

Still not available in Canada. Maybe these posts should indicate which store they are available. Seems like its only available in US right now.

13. macrumors 65816

drew0020

I cant login to any Yahoo iPhone application nor can I get Yahoo email using the mail application. Of course I can login through my web browser on the phone and my Macbook. Very weird!

14. macrumors 6502a

It's not working for me. I can IM anyone I want on Hotmail, but they do not receive my IM's nor do I receive theirs.

Maybe the iPhone version is using a different backend?

15. macrumors member

Uggh, figures, yet another US only app. This is so annoying :(

16. macrumors 6502

Annoying.

I have downloaded it and now it won't connect. Just times out.

CM

17. macrumors member

pawcio

Its not available in Canadian App Store, but I used that "setting up american account to download it" (the one that was used to get the Skype app) trick and it syncs up perfectly with all my other apps. :D I dunno why all these apps are starting to become US app store only!?

18. macrumors newbie

Too late?

It's about a year too late. I said that if Yahoo wanted to stay a float it needed to release this App when the app store originally opened.

19. macrumors member

It is working fine on iphone 3.0.

not bad at all.

20. macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yep. not to mention clients for windows and os x.

i have (sadly) been running adium in the background. for Facebook Chat (can't keep up with it on the page) and signed into Yahoo just for the heck of it on there.

nothing beats iChat for me, personally!

21. macrumors member

This is a complete non-story... the Yahoo! oneConnect app has been offered with Messenger integration for quite a while now.

It's probably using the same crummy network as the desktop client, which has the same problems from time to time when used with Windows Live Messenger Super Spiffy Express Plus! Edition SP3.

22. macrumors 6502a

I was wondering what the difference is between OneConnect and this app...

23. macrumors 65816

One connect is pretty buggy and not very useful. The new yahoo app seems like a "do over" version of one connect without messanger. So then came this Y! messanger app. to fill in the blanks.

I dont find this one of much use. Anything like Nimbuzz, Fring, Or IM+ (lite) can handle all of your IM needs.

24. macrumors 6502a

Ok, I'll try those apps.

Thanks!

25. macrumors 68030