Yahoo Sports App Updated With GIF Creation From Full-Game Video

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yahoo has updated its Yahoo Sports app with a new feature called Loops, which allows users to create GIFs from footage from any of the four major sports leagues in America (the NFL, NHL, MLB and NBA).
    Users first scrub through footage from entire games from the major four sports leagues, choosing any point in any game to "loop". Once users choose a moment, they can add text or effects to their "loop". Finally, they can upload it to the Yahoo Sports app and share it via Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr or send a link to their Loop via email or Messages.

Along with Loops, Yahoo Sports was also updated with a redesign for iOS 7, improved scoring indication for football games, new team and player pages, and various bug fixes.

Yahoo Sports is a free universal app available in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Yahoo Sports App Updated With GIF Creation From Full-Game Video

2. macrumors 6502a

Xenc

I like how a "haters gonna hate" gif was used.

3. macrumors 65816

furi0usbee

Wait till the networks says this constitutes as rebroadcasting, and demand fees....

4. macrumors 6502

larrylaffer

5. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

I get all the sprot info I need front the nhl game center app.

6. macrumors 6502a

garylapointe

Exactly, there is no way that this is going to last. It's one thing to let users post copyrighted material it's another to have an app that creates it for them.

Gary

7. Contributing Editor

jlgolson

I suspect it's licensed.

8. macrumors 6502

The more I read MacRumors forum comments, the more I'm convinced that some forum participants believe that other forum participants run Fortune 100 companies.

Appalling, really.

9. macrumors 6502a

DipDog3

I was wondering how they managed to get a license for these games???

The entire game is there including commercials.

10. mpantone, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

macrumors 6502

My guess is that Yahoo Inc. has a business development team that understands some of the nuances of sports marketing.

Also, Yahoo Fantasy Football is a pretty big deal. A tighter relationship between the NFL and Yahoo will probably stoke interest from both a social networking standpoint as well as live game viewership.

Heck, the NFL can't even put out a decent iOS app. NFL Mobile is by far the weakest of all the four major US league sports official apps. MLB At Bat blows doors on the NFL app and the football league has WAY more money.

The NFL's efforts in mobile marketing are absolutely pathetic vis-a-vis the league's actual value.

Since the regular NFL season is over, the fantasy football league's influence is probably nominal. Both Yahoo and the NFL are probably interested in finding something else that drives audience participation.

We'll see how long this lasts. This might just be a one-time experiment with post-season games for the NCAAF and NFL.

11. macrumors 6502a

dugbug

Some neat gifs from the clemson game. It's an interesting smack talk mechanism. I was surprised they got nfl license for the video

12. macrumors 601

HiRez

It's odd, they don't have a license for any pro sports video. Watch all the Yahoo Sports shows from their studio, all they show from in-game is still photos, never video, not even highlights. Hard to see the NFL being OK with this, they are extremely protective about rights, downright nasty about it even.

That said, it's a cool feature if well-implemented.

13. macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

It works really well. I just made one of Crosby from yesterday's Penguins game.

I think this may replace ESPN's ScoreCenter app for me. Less intrusive ads and they don't charge you to make game picks.

14. macrumors 65816

15. macrumors regular

Unfortunately, this update mandates that a user is running iOS7.x. While I can upgrade both of my iDevices to iOS7, I do not like it so I have chosen not to do so thus far. Since an app can be updated to meet iOS7 requirements without breaking compatibility with older versions, it is sad to see developers dropping those users by the wayside.

16. macrumors regular

Giffer lets you make gifs out of videos and only requires iOS 5.0+.

http://giffer.co/

Disclosure: I made the app. :D

-Taber

17. macrumors 601

Traverse

I only recently discovered what a "GIF" was! :eek:

I always just called them short videos on a loop...

18. macrumors P6

Depends on what they use in the app when they update it. Updating for iOS 7 support doesn't necessarily mean just making it compatible with iOS 7 but can mean using new APIs and features made available in iOS 7, which makes it incompatible with versions prior to iOS 7.

19. macrumors regular

Nothing from the change log suggest there was a need to use new APIs and features. I wish in such situations the devs explain why they HAD to ditch the previous version compatibility.

20. macrumors 68030

mdelvecchio

Gee, I wonder if yahoo has any lawyers working for them?

21. macrumors 6502

There's a chance that Yahoo deliberately designed the feature so one can't share with other social networks like Facebook-owned Instagram.

Just a guess though.

Instagram is over the hill anyhow.

22. macrumors 65816

That doesn't make sense as they allow sharing with Facebook

23. macrumors P6

Perhaps simply support for new extended multitasking or some enhancement like that. The changes/improvements don't really have to be something that must be done or needs to be done just something new and better that might be available for use in a new version, given that it would make sense to go with the latest and greatest with a new and latest version.

24. macrumors regular

Yeah, I suppose. Clearly they made a calculate decision to move over to iOS 7, c'est la vie.