Yahoo to launch 100MB free e-mail

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jun 14, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502

As soon as someone releases 100MB + mail accounts for free, with IMAP access... I'm there.

3. macrumors newbie

IMAP makes all the difference.

Especially since i'm on the road most of the time with my laptop.

4. macrumors newbie

Can I Go Back to My 6mb Yahoo Mail?

Ack. The new Yahoo Mail is horrible. I was a beta tester for the past 3 versions of Yahoo Mail, and none of them were even close to as bad as this. From having my entire page appear in code to causing Safari on my Mac and Internet Explorer on my Sony notebook to crash, it is simply horrible. The entire thing is full of bugs which need immediate fixing. I couldn't even check my mail due to the unstability of the service.

The entire thing seems very rushed. I expect this type of thing out of Hotmail, not Yahoo. I wouldn't be surprised if they were forced to shut down parts of the mail service in order to fix the issues.

5. macrumors 68000

slipper

i just found out about this when i checked my email 10 minutes ago. 100mb is GREAT!

BTW what does IMAP stand for and what is it?

6. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

7. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I just logged in and got the 100MB upgrade announcement but any differences beyond the color changes weren't obvious.

8. macrumors regular

agentmouthwash

It doesn't play nice with Safari.
    I'm using Safari 1.2.2 (v125.8) and I'm having
    a hard time deleting my messages and
    logging on to my.yahoo.com.

I hope this is fixed soon!

9. macrumors regular

i still have 6MB :( most of that is full already where is my 100MB :mad:

10. macrumors member

I'll stick with SpyMac. Free POP3, 1 gig of space, works great with Mail, and best of all it does not get block from servers when i apply for beta tests unlike yahoo.

11. macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

I have a few free Yahoo accounts I use for spam-likely registrations and the like. They've all been upgraded to 100 MB.

I have a main Yahoo Plus mail account I use for my real life. And it is still showing 25 MB of storage. So free = 100MB, while $29.99 = 25 MB.

:mad:

12. macrumors newbie

Problems with Safari 1.2.2!

I'm having the same problem. Safari cannot click on the new Yahoo mail buttons in the browser (delete, forward, spam, etc.)

However, Camino, Firefox, and Omniweb all work fine.

13. macrumors 6502a

macridah

The new interface is kinda ugly ... the colors are just not the right combination or something--it makes my eyes hurt.

I like my .mac account because it works well with my mac apps, but the better do something soon because i don't like the price/value ratio. hint hint

14. macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

After griping above, I got this e-mail from Yahoo:

But it still shows me using 29 percent of my 25 MB of storage.
    And the interface doesn't completely reveal for me using IE 6.0 on WinXP. So it's not just a Safari problem.

15. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm...I still have an SBC integrated account for a short while longer, so I got bumped to 2GB this morning. :D Of course I moved all my old mail off it onto mail.app in preparation for this account to be bumped back down but.....

FWIW in Safari 1.2.2 (125.8) I am having trouble neither with My Y! or with the new mail page design.

I did get the e-mail saying the acct size had been bumped up about five times, OTOH. :)

16. macrumors 68040

shamino

It seems to have worked OK for me. My account size says there's a 100M capacity now.

I haven't had any compatibility problems (started using it this morning), but I'm using Mozilla, not Safari, so that may be the difference.

Of course, for me, this doesn't matter much. I never came close to the older 10M quota either.

17. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

works fine for me on both firefox and safari

18. macrumors 6502a

which do you use?
    spymac has had 1000MB for almost 2 months now. free but slow
    .mac has 15MB not free
    msn has 2MB free
    Google will have 1000MB free but will read your email and sell info to advertiser who will put relevant ads in there.
    who's next to increase.
    yahoo 100MB free and works well
    netscape 5MB free no spam protector

19. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I use Yahoo as my primary and Hotmail as my secondary, and sometimes Univ. acct directly through POP now that mail.app manages multiple accts (before I had it auto-forward to Y!).

But to be honest its more whichever e-mail address people know (which is Yahoo) more than anything else. :(

If I were starting over, #1-2 features would be free POP3 or IMAP and forwarding. Actually they *were* both free when I first got Yahoo.....

20. macrumors regular

WEIRD

OmniWeb says I have 100MB Safari Says I have 6MB? :confused: which is true?!

It's there first day of a HUGE change so problems are expected I'll give them a few days before I start to really complain :p I'm just happy to get 100MB free, that's as big as my iDisk!

21. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

Slow and gaudy.
    That sounds inaccurate if you're claiming that info they're selling to advertisers is based on scanning your e-mail.

Gmail makes a good repository for mailing lists archives.

And using your own domain name(s) for addresses offers more flexible permanence than using what provider(s) offer.

22. macrumors 6502

gallagb

prbms w/ safari as well

hey
    yea - i've been a long time yahoo e-mail person
    and was quite pleased this morning to get that e-mail
    but frustrated as i couldn't do much using safari
    had to switch over and use IE to do some deleting of e-mails this morning

same thing now

any ideas?
    what version is working?

23. macrumors regular

I got my 100MB

ok I got my 100MB but in Safari it looks UGLY! I tried in OmniWeb 4.5 and FireFox 0.9 it looks decent on both, which got me thinking, doesn't OW 4.5 use the same rendering engine as Safari? why doesn't it look decent in Safari?

very good job from the people at yahoo! give them a few days and they'll have things going ok I hope.

Thanks
    MaT

24. macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I'm having problems with Safari also. The pull down menus and other buttons won't work when I click on them. If I right-click and select "Open Link in New Window", it will open the new window and load the page. I've sent them feedback, hopefully it'll be taken care of. I'm a little dissapointed they didn't check compatibility with Safari before releasing this new email system. I thought Yahoo! was on top of stuff like this.

25. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

hmm, somehow I don't really care.