Yahoo! Widget Engine 3.0 (formerly Konfabulator) for Panther...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 13, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

1macker1

and it's FREE! (first post) Glad to see apple didnt run this lil company out of business.

3. macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Ok, where are the guinea pigs to tell us how this stacks up against Dashboard?

4. macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

New Yahoo Widgets are definitely usable, not the resource hogs they used to be before. I am using it at my work Windows machine. Still, I have 2 widgets open (weather and clock) and they take 20MB RAM!

As for Yahoo Widgets on Mac, I will continue using Dashboard on Tiger. Not that Dashboard is so much better but it's just there already so why switch.

5. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

What a [bleeped] up name. :( I want Konfabulator back.

6. macrumors G5

nagromme

They've definitely got the Apple look going on that site! Some pages even use the Dashboard grid-of-holes thing. And the Dashboard-style round-cornered-square-plaque icons. And many other OS X-style UI elements (since of course many of the widgets were designed to blend with OS X before they were Windows-compatible).

7. macrumors member

gbruner

Nice...

I've been using Konfabulator before I got Dashboard, and just because it sits right on my desktop, I use it much more often. I like being able to see the weather without doing anything (I know, it's just a click but "Out of sight, out of mind"). I also like using the random photos that stay in view. There are several widgets that just wouldn't be useful if I had to open the Dashboard to see it. It works really well, and I'll definitely keep using it.

8. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Here.

9. macrumors 6502a

simX

... or take a look at ArsTechnica's review of Konfabulator 3.0 on its own. Basically: it tries to install Yahoo software, it adds a few default widgets that interface with other Yahoo portals, and not much else to merit a 3.0 designation. In fact, it probably shouldn't have that designation at all.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051212-5743.html

10. macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

I swore I saw an iCal icon on the site, too.