Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joesanerd

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2008
I love my BLACKBOOK

...except for the fact that i just bought it a month ago, and they just about doubled the HD...

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Hmmmmm. Mine doesn't seem grainy. Maybe in darker settings it might look that way but in a normal lifghted room it should look pretty decent...

Yeah, my sister and I were messing around with Photo Booth this morning, it's a lot better.

maclover92

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
United States
i am absolutely loving my blackbook
other tahn the fact i bought mine 3 weeks ago,
and now they bumped up the specs on all the new ones.. oh well
and good job on buying all that by yourself, you deserve to have great things if you work hard for them
it says alot if you are 14, make big money of buying and selling on craigslist, and writing for an internet support article..
great job, we need more of you in the world

ColonelSmith

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Ohio
I <3 the glossy screens on the MacBook. But back when I got mine I couldn't bring myself to go Black. White is just so.... Apple. Couldn't resist.

Stuart in Oz

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Do you use the Moshi PalmGuard to protect the "palm-rest"-area?

I've bought one, but hav'nt got my BlackBook yet :)

Um, no, I've not seen that product. But personally I've never worried about getting a worn look on my laptops. I like them when they are nice and shiny new all right but I really live on my laptop and they've all ended up looking battered and marked. Sorry not be more help.

Stuart in Oz

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I bought myself one on Sunday and I'm really pleased with it so far.

At least I was until this morning when the hard drive failed big time. :(

However, in every cloud there is a silver lining - and - my Merom 1/160GB machine went back as a DOA three hours ago and a nice new Penryn 2/250GB came out for me!!! :)

I was screaming on Tuesday cause I just missed out on the upgrade by 4 days and I had really wanted a 250 gig hard drive in the first place. And today was the last day I could have had a DOA as well!

Only issue now is I paid to upgrade the old machine to 2 gig of RAM and the new one already has that, so I made sure I retrieved my 2 x 1 gig chips from the old machine and now I need to find a way to sell them off and get my money back. ;)

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Well, I took the leap to the DARK SIDE...

and now, I can come outta' the closet. Gave up the White MB 2.16 120GB, yesterday for the Brand Spankin' New BlackBook 2.4 250GB. I had configured everything for the White MB, but they didn't have "it" in stock. They said it would have taken a few days to configure the computer, so the Store Manager said, "I can get you the BlackBook for the same price!" So, I bit like a dog goin' after fleas, and have enjoyed the two-day adventure, and have had very little sleep! I don't miss the White MB, and the last trip through airport security the TSA people rubbed the cloth over my keyboard and left a reddish-pinkish mark that was quite visible above the touchpad until I put the iKlear to it. So, now I've said it! No looking back, and living high on the hog!!! :cool:

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Well, just an update, I guess. I love mine to bits. Hooked it up to my JBL Creatures and MX Revolution. Everything I need in a computer. :)

Bit grimy though...

KruseF1

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
Bought my blackbook back in 2006 (core duo). It's my first mac and I can say that I've been very happy with it but I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade.

Kruse

razyorv

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
My 2.16 BlackBook with 2GB is great! No problems whatsoever. However, when I work on large print projects (8000px x 6000px) it does show its lack of a dedicated graphics; but other than that, I'm very happy.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Got mine the other day. Refurb.

iSight sucks on mine for video. The playback is pretty choppy. Is that the norm? IT's definitely not smooth like my iMac. The frame rate is definitely a good chunk south of 24 fps.

The screen also has a poor vertical viewing angle.

I'm warming up a bit to the laptop. Still I might return it.

dizzlemizzle

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
really like mine...i bought it at the beginning of the month...2.2 ghz with 1gb ram and 160 gb HDD....kinda disappointed with the upgrade but its not a big deal.

i just bought 4gb of ram so i'm looking foward to that...then in a couple months i'll probably upgrade the hard drive to 500gb when they're released

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
My 2.16 BlackBook with 2GB is great! No problems whatsoever. However, when I work on large print projects (8000px x 6000px) it does show its lack of a dedicated graphics; but other than that, I'm very happy.

What you need is RAM, not a better graphics chip. A graphics chip will help with 3D stuff. Page layout, Photoshop, etc., will benefit from RAM far more than a faster graphics chip.

Your machine, if its a Core Duo, is stuck at 2GB. If its a Core 2 Duo, it'll take 3GB.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
What you need is RAM, not a better graphics chip. A graphics chip will help with 3D stuff. Page layout, Photoshop, etc., will benefit from RAM far more than a faster graphics chip.

Your machine, if its a Core Duo, is stuck at 2GB. If its a Core 2 Duo, it'll take 3GB.

While Santa Rosa Core 2 Duos and Penryns go up to 4gigs.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2005
i got a used first gen blackbook. i'm the sort of the person who lets his car get all dirty, so initially all the smudges were a bother and now i don't even pay attention to them and let them accumulate.

my general sense is that mac laptops don't seem to be built as reliably as pc laptops. with this blackbook, some annoyances that i experience:
- somewhat of a sharp front edge on wrists/lower forearms while typing
- screen flickers intermittently
- i jammed the blackbook into a laptop case that a bit small a few times and then i noticed that some of the black polycarbonate or whatever the material the casing is made of, was rubbed off. i wasn't too impressed that strong rubbing against the case by the material of a laptop bag would take have such a dieting effect. material was rubbed off only on the top cover and not the bottom cover but the top cover is more noticeable.
- no modem or pcmcia slot
- haven't learned yet how to do that two finger right click

i like mac os x and i will continue using this blackbook, but by no means am i totally enamoured by mac laptops. i'm keeping my pc laptops for their greater hardware (yes, windows isn't so hot) reliability and extended function (modem and pcmcia).

so in my mind, neither pc nor macs are the be-all-end-all to computer nirvana.

you probably would've enjoyed a macbook pro better :)

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Had mine since August of 2006.

Very happy, but it's hard to ignore the cracks.

2262009396_866af5b577.jpg

2261216527_3d10fbb27f.jpg

2262009264_871cfff4aa.jpg

:(

Won't Apple Care fix the unit for you, because if that kind of damage is not covered then I am not going to get one.

kerotab

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
California
I've had mine since April '07 and have had no problems what so ever. My only gripe about it is that the keyboard can get dirty easily but hey, nobody said it was perfect! =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.