Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I want one!! I don't think I'm gonna get a white one

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
I ended up returning my black refurb MB.

I don't know what I'm getting now. I don't absolutely need a laptop, but like moving around the house with one when I had it. Right now I move my 17" iMac around the house except it doesn't work well on the couch. :p IT does well on the coffee table though.

I'm getting closer and closer to eliminating the MBP from consideration as more and more I don't want the gaming temptation.

That leaves me at the MBA or trying another MB. I like the black better, but would probably get a new middle of the road whitey one. The MBA rocks with the trackpad and screen and size and everything really but hd space.

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
lol smudges. Golly, you'd almost think a computer wasn't a tool used to accomplish a task.;)

I'm pretty happy with mine, but the caveat is that I don't do any heavy lifting with it. In the end, size was the probably the biggest reason I didn't get a MBP, followed closely by nitpicky stuff like the embedded keyboard and no latch. I got the mid 07 model, so I'm also stuck with 2GB of ram. Not a bad model by any means, but definitely "high end consumer" rather than "pro" material. It's almost like they planned it that way. :D

Lost me there...that model is upgradeable to at least 3 if not 4gb of RAM. You're not stuck with 2gb...at all. :D

BTW your reasons for getting a MB are pretty much my exact reasons for upgrading from my PB 1.67 to a BlackBook.:cool: Not too worried about the heavy lifting as I don't game on my 'puter and I figure a 2.2 or 2.4 MB will be a big performance increase over my PowerBook, even in occasional iMovie/iDVD stuff.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Lost me there...that model is upgradeable to at least 3 if not 4gb of RAM. You're not stuck with 2gb...at all. :D

BTW your reasons for getting a MB are pretty much my exact reasons for upgrading from my PB 1.67 to a BlackBook.:cool: Not too worried about the heavy lifting as I don't game on my 'puter and I figure a 2.2 or 2.4 MB will be a big performance increase over my PowerBook, even in occasional iMovie/iDVD stuff.

Okay, speaking of huge performance gains....

My main 'puter is a PMG3 with three 19" displays. CRTs.

Shazam.

Yeah, BlackBook, you're inferior. I'm sorry. :p

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Okay, speaking of huge performance gains....

My main 'puter is a PMG3 with three 19" displays. CRTs.

Shazam.

Yeah, BlackBook, you're inferior. I'm sorry. :p

Ah, you must have that G3 setup in an airplane hangar! Those CRTs take up some real estate! :D

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Not really.

I wanted it to also have:

16 Gigs RAM
500 Gig SSD
Blu-ray/HD DVD RW Drive
3.0 GHz Octo Core
Backlit Keyboard
2 x 512 Meg ATI Graphics in SLI

And a 128 Gig iPod Touch (free after rebate).

All for $999 :eek:

I didn't get any of these... :p

mikky05v

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2008
All right guys, the responses to this thread have been way more positive than I thought they would be. Just what I need to hear. :D

It's actually kinda funny how good of a deal I'm getting. Thinkpad T60 Core Duo, Toshiba Satellite 1.6GHz Pentium 4-M, and $125. In return:

2.2GHz SR blackbook
1GB RAM
160GB HD
Leopard

w00t! :D

that's the exact specs of my new one I just got..
I waited for months for a black one to show up refurbished..
White is nice and all but it's different
the track pad is more glossy, the case feels odd, even the keys don't seem right lol.. at least not after having a blackbook since the MB was released.
I definitelt prefer it but i guess it's all based on preference, i have friends who would never buy a black one.. whatever tho, i love it
smudges are way better on the new ones and it comes with a handy cloth that kills umm easy

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
that's the exact specs of my new one I just got..
I waited for months for a black one to show up refurbished..
White is nice and all but it's different
the track pad is more glossy, the case feels odd, even the keys don't seem right lol.. at least not after having a blackbook since the MB was released.
I definitelt prefer it but i guess it's all based on preference, i have friends who would never buy a black one.. whatever tho, i love it
smudges are way better on the new ones and it comes with a handy cloth that kills umm easy

Selling it for $1150 tonight. The end of an era. :)

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
I had a White Macbook for almost a year, and I had nothing but trouble, I got a Blackbook (my white one broke, got a new one, and it was black. :D) and it's been awesome. Not a single problem, and it is seamless. On the white one, the iSight, IR, and sleep ports were a little bit distracting. The blackbook is SO streamlined, and sleek. I think it looks, and works better than the MBP. :D It's also amazingly fast. I bootcamped XP onto it, and it's faster than the new computer that my mom got, and it's stats are supposedly better. I love it.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
I had a White Macbook for almost a year, and I had nothing but trouble, I got a Blackbook (my white one broke, got a new one, and it was black. :D) and it's been awesome. Not a single problem, and it is seamless. On the white one, the iSight, IR, and sleep ports were a little bit distracting. The blackbook is SO streamlined, and sleek. I think it looks, and works better than the MBP. :D It's also amazingly fast. I bootcamped XP onto it, and it's faster than the new computer that my mom got, and it's stats are supposedly better. I love it.

Shut up......

Making me sad! :(

kamm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
It's OK. I still miss our top-notch Vaio SZ - a FAR BETTER HW than this new BlackBook, passed to my parents - but hey, that couldn't run Leopard while this one runs XP.:cool:

sixtyone

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
i'm still in a constant debate with myself over getting the blackbook or a MBP...

what makes me lean towards the MBP is the resolution... the screen just seems way too small on the blackbook

asmallchild

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
i'm still in a constant debate with myself over getting the blackbook or a MBP...

what makes me lean towards the MBP is the resolution... the screen just seems way too small on the blackbook

For me, it was the finger stains. :eek:

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i picked up a refurb 2.2 ghz a few weeks ago, and i've been loving it ever since. anybody who knows me will tell you i'd be the type of person who'd be bothered by the smudges, but i'm surprisingly not. it's a computer, and i'm using it. i clean it every few days, and it's good enough for me.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
i'd be the type of person who'd be bothered by the smudges, but i'm surprisingly not. it's a computer, and i'm using it. i clean it every few days, and it's good enough for me.

Ha ha, when I had mine, I never, NEVER wiped it off. :D

I agree completely with you. Computers are meant to be used!

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
i bought one today, went in to buy a base model white one LOL
I like it, cant compete with the macpro, but its not designed too. this keyboard is re-teaching me too touchtype as my bad habbits are a no go on a lappy keyboard lol.

i bought it for when i want to browse while on the couch or dont want to wake the GF, and the MP will still be my main machine... i control the screen from this machine, currently encoding movies on the MP while on the couch :D
Only gripe is the battery life seems to be non-existant even after a charge til full.
cheers,

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
i bought one today, went in to buy a base model white one LOL
I like it, cant compete with the macpro, but its not designed too. this keyboard is re-teaching me too touchtype as my bad habbits are a no go on a lappy keyboard lol.

i bought it for when i want to browse while on the couch or dont want to wake the GF, and the MP will still be my main machine... i control the screen from this machine, currently encoding movies on the MP while on the couch :D
Only gripe is the battery life seems to be non-existant even after a charge til full.
cheers,

Have you calibrated it?

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
Received my new one today, love it. Ok, it is a lot more than the white one for what it is but you won't regret it! See it here with my old 12" PB :)

Attachments

• Old and New.jpg
    Old and New.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 111

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
my internet is capped atm so cant load much, but i set the energy saver prefs to save power when on battery and go nuts when plugged in.

cheers,

All right then, here's the process.

Plug in, let it charge until it's at 100%
Keep it charged for two hours
Drain it until it goes to sleep
Leave it for five hours
Charge it back up to 100%

Your battery is now calibrated! :)

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Grrr...

Every time I read this thread, tears come to my eyes.

Why the *** did I sell it? :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.