Yamaha CDRW - Is it dead Jim?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by FoxyKaye, Oct 7, 2004.

1. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I purchased one of the fancy Yamaha CDRW-F1E drives in an external firewire case at the end of 2002 from OWC. I've actually been using it quite a lot - burning runs of 50-100 CDs almost every other month since I bought it.

Lately, the drive has begun producing write errors, and this morning Toast announced that it couldn't produce a CD copy due to a hardware malfunction, some sort of tracking problem.

I doubt these are signs of a problem with my Firewire bus, since other Firewire devices seem to be working fine.

So, given its heavy use, the kinds of burning errors I seem to be getting, and its age, have I reached the end of life on my Yamaha? To quote Dr. McCoy, "He's dead Jim."

Is it time to get a new one, or could there be another cause for these errors?
  2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Sometimes FireWire cables go bad. I ordered a HD, and it wouldn't mount consistently, so I went through the hassle of getting a replacement HD. Still having problems. After a third HD, a friend suggested that it might be the cable I was using. Since the HD shipped with the ridiculously short 9 inch cable, I'd been using one of my own older cables. I switch out to a new cable and had no problems at all.

Check and make sure that it's not a bad cable before you do anything else.

Is the drive you purchased rated for heavy use, or is it a bargain-basement drive? Cheap drives are generally built using flimsy plastic parts that might malfunction after awhile, especially after heavy use.