Yamaha Design. Nice, very, very nice.

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Sep 1, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

This is stunning... simply stunning. ;)

When the Japanese are this inventive and original their level of design is superb and second to none. The site is lush to use, even though it's all in Japanese, it's still possible to navigate through it regardless of whether you understand a word of it or not.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/design

Thoughts?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It works without you being aware of it working. :) That would make it the ultimate tool, wouldn't it? Their web site feels like a Yamaha product.

Unfortunately, it's just the Design presentation. :(

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

and that's the amazing thing... I can hardly understand a word of what is written on the site, yet I can navigate through it easier than many English based sites. Incredible.

it's very intuitive... I even like the the way you rollover a link and it automatically links you, it's a way of navigating that I've worked with in the past, and have never really achieved a level of functionality that even approaches how it is implemented in this site. Alot of it has to do with the information given, (I'd love to be able to read what it all says) and even though I have zero understanding of Japanese it took me like seconds to become accustomed to how it's navigation functioned... that's rare on more interactive sites. really is rather swish.

and the navigation between design studies is incredibly intuitive, especially the changing between pages, it's a digital metaphor for the physical process of actually turning a page, a far more elegant solution than the one I experienced at an interactive installation at the british library a few years back.

and I haven't even started on the work yet... :eek:

perfection... true perfection.

4. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

Thats seriously cool, even someone with no experience of how to use a computer would understand how to use it. I think we take for granted how much actually using technology is a skill. It something that the younger generation are very familiar with but something that the how shall i put this older? generation aren't. If everything was as simple as this then there would be virtually no learning how to use a computer. It would just work!

5. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i think yamaha has consistantly had well designed products. Even the old brocures i have are well designed and pleasing to the eyes.

probably why i'll be riding a R6 in a few months. :)

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Thanks iGav - yet another standard to live up to :D

Although, I don't like the sound effects, wish there was a way to turn them off.

Simple, elegant, intuitive. I wonder if they have an english version of this?

D

7. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

I got as far as the guy in the lime green shirt and exited.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That wasn't very far.

Oh, by the way, have all of you been going from right to left or from left to right? ;)

9. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

when I found this link earlier, it just said Yamaha Design, and the only thing that came to mind was their motorbikes, I had visions of neon decaled things with big breasted women, wearing very little draped over them and I almost didn't click on it. :eek:

glad I did though... :)

Loving the Dolsa Wind concept... quite incredible attention to detail :eek: :D

Wonder how the guitar plays as well.

10. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I think its a Guitar tutor. I though it might have been a cheap synthaxe :D The buttons on the neck might make it interesting to play.

11. iceTrX macrumors regular

I really like how the site works, the only thing that bothers me is the sound effects (a big nono). I personally think it isn't nearly the most attractive site but its very professional and easy to use.

12. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I'm a big fan of Yamaha. I love their products and their company philosophy. One of the cooler companies that I'd love to work for. My Quicksilver pumps out sound via Yamaha computer speakers; I love it.
    I also own a Yamaha acoustic guitar. It's a relatively cheap one but has great sound and is just fine for my needs. I got a Seymour Duncan acoustic pickup that I pop into it and run through a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. Glorious sound.
    I plan on getting a Yamaha surround sound system as soon as I'm ready to step up.

13. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

good call... that's exactly what it is... ;) I've just been reading some reviews on Amazon, and one guy who's been a pro player for donkeys years now uses one, and he's pretty complimentary about it.

I'd love it... I'm not an especially great guitarist so something like that would really tighten up my technique, especially as I'm not musically minded :D

14. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Pretty neat .... They even feature a MSX computer that I used to own in a previous life.

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

though i am a guitarist before a drummer, it's the yamaha drums which have really captured my imagination...their guitars are very well built and similar to other companies in the same price range (epiphone, ibanez, ltd, peavey, fender american series)

but their drums stand way out ahead of any other maker, dollar for dollar...i don't know how they do it being that they have to focus on so many other products outside of drums and music...their drums in the drum world are like macs in the computer world

my ultimate set would be a 4 or 5 piece yamaha recording kit with remo coated heads, yamaha hardware for kick, hi-hat, and snare (piccolo)...but tama gibralter cymbal stands holding sabian and zildjian cymbals :)

in the past my wife played a rodgers 6 piece maple set, a pearl mx-100 black set, and i later had a pearl mx-1000 set and all sets had thin zildjians...but we both wanted the yamaha set but they cost a little more than what was affordable for us

16. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Yey.... there's an English version now. :D

Still soooooooo goooooood it makes my pants damp. :p

Just navigating any other site after this one just seems so.... old fashioned.

Rinky dink link

And

Pinky dink link

Perfection.

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

It took me a minute, I started at the top and was looking around in japanese, that was foggy. then found the button then read down to hear......maybe should read the thread first? chicken and egg problem.
    The site was nice, I have always been impressed with yamaha product performance in audio equip. I own B&O, KEF, Caver, Sony, Polk, and other great makers but often tell my friends when they ask...if you are stuck between yamaha and something else..choose the yamaha and you can't go wrong.
    Not an IT person or design or arts person but did like the presentation of the site and it's navagation.

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

quite nice - i really like the non button pushing navigation.

I think it would work really well with a flash photo album and I'm thinking I'm going to try and make one to see how well it works :D

Thanks again for posting the new link

D

19. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Not big on flash splash pages. Design should be simple and easy to use. Not so with the site. Apple has one of the best sites. Very easy to use.

20. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I believe that the Yamaha site is an example of both.

Simple and easy to use doesn't necessarily mean that it should be devoid of innovation, or immersive interaction.

21. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

More products added to Yamaha Design.

'00s EZ-TP Easy Trumpet, Disklavier Pro 2000, YSP-1 Digital Sound Projector, AVIT prototype,
    '90s 02R Digital Mixer, DTX Silent Drum, R-08 Ski Boots,
    '80s DX7 Synthesizer, YHL-003/006 Portable Headphone,
    '70s CS-80 Synthesizer.

Rinky dink link

Still soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. :D

Speaking of 'clickless navigation'... how not to do it :eek: ;) Pinky dink link

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You can't compare this to Apple's site. Apple has such sleek and well designed products. Too bad their webpage is so average.

23. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Oooh thats a nice one.
    I remember you posting this before. I sent my sister the link for both the Japanese store and the English version and said it's great example of how to design a site(not necessarily how to run one's own); she found it impossible to get through - along the lines of WTF why have you sent me here - I can't do anything!!! Her talents lie elsewhere alas :p (but she is an XP user :D )

24. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Ahhh...yes I do love Yamaha products!!! I own a 2005 Yamaha RS Rage snowmobile with a 3 cyl 120HP Genesis Extreme 4 stroke, very smooth and powerful! I also have a 2005 Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV.

My other Yamaha product from their consumer electronics division is a 600watt surround sound receiver.

There is no Japanese company that can compete with Yamaha in their product areas. For example go and look at a Honda bike or atv and then go look at a Yamaha. Fit and finish of the Yamaha product is outstanding. The same is true with electronics and musical instruments.

Attached Files:

25. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Yet, I think it's soooooo intuitive to use... incredibly smooth and flowing, even when there wasn't an English version and everything was in Japanese.

I consider it as one of the defining examples of original thinking in design and new media, along with 'Anti-Rom's The Antidote' and 'Audiopad'.

Fantastically fresh thinking. :)