YAMC (Yet Another Mirrorless Camera): Pentax K-01

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by robbieduncan, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

2. TheReef, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

macrumors 68000

TheReef

I'm glad!! The Q system is a terrible idea! This is what Pentax should have released in the first place!

Or any user for that matter, if it's developed from the foundations of the excellent K-5 and k-r is bound to be a winner.

This is what the Q should have been, I'm not sure about the styling though... the Q does look quite nice.

We'll see for certain in 14 or so hours from now.

This is exactly what I've been waiting for :D

3. macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

Maybe it's the angle, or just me, but that's an incredibly ugly camera. Also, it looks pretty thick. I don't see the point of having a razor-thin pancake on such a bulbous body.

The branding on the strap is also out of control. Is the camera not ugly enough?

4. TheReef, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

macrumors 68000

TheReef

The key to this camera is that it accepts K mount lenses - going all the way back.
    To do this they need to maintain the flange distance, hence the larger body.

Pentax have an excellent line of DA and FA ltd primes that would be perfect for this camera:

DA - 15mm f/4.0 - 21mm f/3.2 - 35mm f/2.8 Macro - 40mm f/2.8 - 70mm f/2.4
    FA - 31mm f/1.8 - 43mm f/1.9 - 77mm f/1.8

It's pretty much the ultimate light-weight travel system, providing extremely high IQ - I'm excited :D

5. thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's a boxy little beast! Loads of pictures including some older K mount lenses mounted here.

6. macrumors 68000

TheReef

After looking at high res pics, the white version is really growing on me.

I don't know what they were thinking with yellow though... :eek: :p

7. macrumors regular

Thats what you get when you have a designer who has a particular taste in colours ;-)

8. macrumors 603

firestarter

This whole concept seems completely pointless.

If you're keeping the flange difference the same, you may as well throw in a mirror and have done with it. There's no appreciable size reduction, no compatibility with any third party rangefinder lenses... it's just an economy version of their DSLRs with no viewfinder and worse focussing speed.

Disappointing.

9. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do you think the selling point is simply that it works with the other K mount lenses and it's mirrorless?

10. macrumors 603

firestarter

It's great that it works with K mount, but they could have designed an adapter to give that capability.

The whole point of mirrorless is to do away with the mirror box and bring lenses closer to the sensor. This makes the camera smaller and makes it easier to build wide angle lenses.

So Pentax isn't getting any of the advantages of mirrorless. Pointless doing it.

11. thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Over at dpreview they seem similarly disappointed. The point out that existing K-5 DSLRs don't like focussing some older K-mount lenses via contrast detect AF (it works eventually but it's not good) and even with the more recent K mount lenses it's way worse than phase detection. I think this new camera will struggle to match the AF speed of the newer m43 bodies.

The comparative size images vs a K-5 are particularly damning I think

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You lose the viewfinder and phase-detect AF for very little reduction in size.

12. macrumors 603

firestarter

Oh well...

And there was also the bad news today that the Fuji X1 Pro is going to be even more expensive than first thought.

Next news up is going to be Oly's new mirrorless...

13. thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Which will disappoint as it's going to be pretty pricey and still have the same sensor that's in the GX1. :(

14. macrumors 65816

AlexH

The K-01 design is growing on me. I want to see a full review, of course, but it could be a winner.

15. macrumors 6502

Got the K-01 a few days ago now.. And it's absolutely beautiful.

Took me a second to get used to the size... Fits in my hands really well.

The design is special. So much more solid in real life. I must admit, I thought it was a toy when I saw it first online.