YAWSP (Yet Another Wierd Safari Problem)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Evl, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Evl macrumors newbie

Hi-

I couldn't find anything quite like this in the search, but found a couple of interesting things to try none-the-less. Anyway, the sometimes I can't goto certain sites, but others work fine. One reliable one that fails is "ebay.com". When it fails it says something like "safari couln't open the page after trying for xxx seconds". Other pages work fine.

IE works fine.
    If I log on as a different user safari works fine.
    If I am at work, or use an ethernet cable to connect my PB to the DSL modem at home safari works fine.

The problem only shows up when I connect to the net through my wireless gateway, or through an ethernet cable connected to either my wireless gateway _or_ my OpenBSD firewall machine.

Anyway, this seems like a _very_ strange situation to me, so any tips would be appreciated.

Oh, this is safari 1.2.2 (v125.8) on:
    % uname -a
    Darwin harrison.local 7.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.4.0: Wed May 12 16:58:24 PDT 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.7.7.obj~7/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

PS Apparently this forum submission form is another one that has problems, although the main pages load just fine.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Safari can get confused sometimes, and refuse to load certain pages, or any page at all. If this ever happens to me, I try these three things, in order:
    1. Check Network in System Preferences to make sure I have a valid address.
    2. Reset Safari (Safari->Reset Safari...).
    3. Restart my Mac.

3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

i get that sometimes but if you just click the refresh button it usually works.

4. Evl thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a less drastic was of doing this? I'd like to not loose all my saved passwords and stuff. Can I back up a configuration file or something first, so that I can restore various parts of the configuration until it stops working again?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is what the Reset Safari command does:
    All five of these operations have a command to perform them somewhere in Safari. Therefore, you can try them one at a time until it works again.
    Safari stores its cookies here: ~/Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist
    Its cache is here: ~/Library/Caches/Safari/
    Preferences are here: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist
    Everything else Safari-related can be found here: ~/Library/Safari/
    ~ is your home directory.

6. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

You can also download a free ware app that changes the default 10 seconds until timeout to something longer. I have the same problem with Yahoo.com pages, and when I changed my timeout from 10 to 60 seconds, it works far better.
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11457

7. Evl thread starter macrumors newbie

OK it seems that the cookies were probably the problem. Cleared them, still seem to have everything else. I can now visit ebay and a few other sites that wouldn't load, but the problem is that I still can't seem post to forums (including this one) from the wireless interface, probably because I'm getting 2 cookies when I log in. :(

I did set the timeout on a page to 10 minutes, which seems like it should be enough.

In order to post this, I had to hook up to the wired network, the wireless didn't work. (But of course it works for other web pages, so its not a net problem) Is it just me, or does it seem very odd that safari should even know what interface it is talking over, let alone care??