Yay for iMac Warranty

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SimonTheSoundMa, Oct 17, 2006.

1. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Nice to know Apple do care. 30 days of my 1 year warranty left, and Apple have decided to extend it to 3 years for parts and labour, at no cost.

First I have heard Apple dong this, anyone else get anything similar?

I was this week about to fork out the money for Apple Care. I'm not too interested in the phone tech support. So, zilch to pay.

2. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Let me see if I understand this. Are you saying that you did not buuy the extended warranty, but now that you are within 30 days of the end of your basic one year warranty, Apple has (without any prompting from you) extended the hardware portion of your warranty to 3 years? If so, I wonder if this is standard practice for Apple? I think I could live without phone support.

3. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

4. SimonTheSoundMa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Support web site now states it end on 19/11/2008.

E-mail is form a kosher address too. I have mailed Apple customer care to find out why.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This is a standard offering from the AppleStore for Education over here. It's included in the purchase price.

Attached Files:

• edu.jpg
      edu.jpg
      File size:
      26.3 KB
      Views:
  6. SimonTheSoundMa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Humm. Good shout. I do know this came in at the UK a good 3-4 months after my purchase just after the Intel iMacs came out. I wonder if Apple decided to give it to people before it started also. Wait and see.

7. ascender macrumors 68000

Hmm, I just bought an iMac from the Apple Store along with Applecare and I've been charged for it. I guess I should mail them...

8. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Remember that this is only for Higher Education (e.g. University) in the UK, and it isn't full Applecare - you don't get the bells like free telephone support and on site.

David

9. ascender macrumors 68000

I bought mine through the online Education Store, to be shipped to the UK and put my university's name in when prompted.

As long as it covers hardware failure, that would do for me, onsite or RTB!

10. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

You actually have to buy it with the higher discount, which you can only get if your uni has signed up. The online HE store is only accessible though your uni's network or if you are VPNed in.

David

11. ascender macrumors 68000

Ah, fair enough! Every day's a school day and you learn something new :)

12. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

You don't get on-site repairs with "normal" AppleCare either. You have to send your hardware away or take it to a service centre.

13. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

But you don't get any written proof of this when you order, and a serial number check still shows only 1 year of warranty. Apple have never told me how you would prove to a repair centre you were covered after the first year.