Yay! My school ranks #1 in the west!

Discussion in 'Community' started by mactastic, Aug 22, 2003.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This is great, now I just need to convince potential employers of the value I will bring to their organizations. I just graduated a few weeks ago, and will be getting my masters next year.

Link

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Cal Poly

Is that the school that is kinda up against a hillside, and the buildings are all bright colors?

Its close to the ocean...

By that town that is known for the huge rock in the ocean....

I drove by that school (i think), and it looked like a helltrap (to me). It seemed there was nowhere to go, and pretty compact.

I dunno, could be a cool school. Is it fun?

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Cal Poly

the huge rock is morro bay nearby...a really cool oceanside resort town

the the south in the other direction is pismo beach which is really nice

san luis obispo is the major town of the area and is very safe and clean (i was there two weeks ago on holiday)

i spent my first 2 1/2 collge years at cal poly...it's a great school and most known for its architecture school and agricultural school

cal poly is a part of the 20+ campus cal state university system which includes northridge state (which has a nationally known english department), sonoma state (with a famous teaching program), and a maritime academy campus for the shipping industry

the cal state system is now geared more towards job training and less towards theory and graduate studies, and that distinction is given to the university of california system (cal, ucla, etc) and that system produces a lot of academics who become k-12 teachers, college professors, academic writers, and one of the best collection of nobel laureates in the world in its faculty

being a working person today, i much prefer the hands on spirit of the cal state system as opposed to studying the classics ala ivy league style:p

5. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, I will say it is not the most rockin' partyest campus I've ever been to. The #1 ranking is because of the academics, which are definetly above average, although I do have some complaints about class availability, quality of some of the profs, etc. Very beautiful campus, with some funny agricultural smells from time to time. Some people come here and can't wait to leave to get back to a more urban area, others come here and refuse to leave.

I went through the architecture program here, had a good time doing it. I highly reccomend it to anyone interested in the field. In addition, the architecture dept. contains an architecture school, a construction management school (my minor), a city and regional planning major, landscape architecture, and architectural engineering. the business school is highly renowned, the engineering programs are excellent, and the agribusiness program is top notch as well. You can come take classes in poultry management, or animal husbandry:D if you feel like getting dirty. There's even a viticluture major for anyone interested in owning/ operating a winery. Plus it is a great tourist area... but shhh, don't spread that around, I've got enough trouble finding a place to park during the summer as it is.:p

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

former mormon retreat

we sell you land, you keep your college dry

7. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

not to burst your bubble but you should read more closely. its "among" the best. and only "among" the best when you eliminate schools with large graduate programs (which are basically all the schools traditionally thought of as top schools).

SLO is a good school though. I have a friend who just graduated as well. Nice little town too (though a little homogenous)

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

cal poly is not a national university in california like usc and stanford though...it's western regional

but one day it will be on the same national rankings as those and harvard and yale and georgetown, etc

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

national university, in a nutshell from us news and world report is:

enrollement taken from around the world and not from any one state...harvard for instance...people come from everywhere to go to harvard or any of the other 7 ivy league schools

and national universities have a law school and medical school...some have a dental school and other doctoral level programs

us news and world report have a yearly "best graduate school" magazine which lists these universities and have sections on the law, MBA, and medical schools around the country

so then, where do i put cal poly in the mix?

if i had to make three lists

national universities
    regional universities
    unaccredited universities

i would put cal poly as a high end regional university...but almost on the level of a national university

in california, i see stanford and usc as the state's best national universities

then i would go down the list to ucla and berkeley

and places like uc davis, uc santa cruz, and the other uc schools would be at the bottom of that national list, but still above cal poly

and following cal poly would be the state colleges and lesser known california private universities and at the very bottom of the list would be the school that is in my town, cal state university monterey bay who just got accredited this month for the first time...he he

and then of the unaccredited schools, they are everywhere and advertise heavily but some of these schools, like cal state monterey bay was for almost a decade, are honestly working towards accredidation

10. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Dude, if I went to CalTech or Stanford or something I would feel a whole lot more special! It's not that great of an honor per se.

It's the best public, largely undergraduate university west of something. That doesn't give me delusions of grandeur or anything, I was mostly just hoping this might encourage someone out there to think about coming here. There are a TON of better schools here in California, let alone the rest of the country. It's a small honor, but I'm ok with that.:p

11. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

yes its a great school. nice area as well (which you cant say about many schools). what is your major btw?

12. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

architecture
    construction management minor too

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

but in your case, architecture, cal poly is nationally known

the only other school cal poly has that has a national reputation is their agricultural school...just behind the uc davis aggies, who some say is among the nation's best

i went to cal poly's business school, which at the time was just getting a name, but now they are really pretty good but outside of san luis obispo, still not known...but if you mention agriculture or architecture, people everywhre in the state know cal poly and i am very proud of that

i graduated and finished up elsewhere in a business major, but the business i chose was landscaping and i always wear my cal poly hat and many of the people in the industry say, "hey i went there, too":D

14. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hehe, we're like 1 in 7 architects in this state, and like 1 in 15 nationally. I think its part of the reason we rank so well, because so many grads are out there to report nice things about their alma mater. Nothing like stacking the deck in your favor!:D

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

wanna really get known?

build and design some of those ugly costco/albertson/circuit city/home depot malls for everyone to see and chop down a virgin forest in the process...i guarantee, that will bring attention to you:p

unfortunately, cal poly has scott peterson...like usc has OJ:rolleyes:

and yale and harvard have president dubya

16. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

There's another alumni who's still being investigated by the cops for killing a coed like 8 or 10 years ago. He appears so be getting away with it. Plus when i first got here 5 years ago we had a guy kidnap, rape, and kill two girls, one from cal poly and one from the local JC. He was caught finally, but that first year was pretty sad.

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

with 16000 or more students, you are bound to get some bad ones

besides W, who i didn't vote for, harvard also gave us the unabomber and one of the 9/11 hijackers

18. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Hmm, well, I've been at The University of Texas in Austin for 4 days now, and classes start on the 27th. I've been doing band since Wednesday, and last night, I found out that I had made the band, so now I have more band practice...

I forget where my school was ranked, but we have so much to offer...

I just know our football team is going to to well, we're the #6 party school in the country (we need to work to bring that up ;) ), and, uh, we're one of the biggest universities in the country...

I live in a dorm with 2000+ other people, am part of a band with over 300 people, that plays for crowds of over 80,000...

19. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think our two most famous alumni are Ozzy Smith, who gave the recent commencement speech, and Weird Al Yankovich. He was an architecture student of all things! You get pretty crazy after not sleeping for a few days to get your projects ready for crits. I know there were a few times I barely made it through those! :D :p

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

and that guy who sang "footlose" went to cal poly...he played a concert in the gym when i went there...i know his name is not eddie rabbit, but someone in that genre of music

ok, i know, kenny loggins...loggins and messina both went to cal poly

i heard weird al played his stuff in the bathrooms near the architecture building...but he was there a few years before me

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I took a tour of Cal Poly SLO last month. A nice campus. I like the way the architecture building is color coded - water pipes in one color, electrical conduits in another, sewer lines in another, etc. It was odd to hear our tour guide (a student) tell about the parking problem while looking at vast stretches of land all around the campus. The best thing about Cal Poly SLO, however, is that you can hang out at the SLO Brewing Company in town. Go Brewster! Runner-up is that Cal Poly produces some of the top architects in the country.

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the brewing company makes great beer and it's really close to campus if it's the one i am thinking of near grand on monterey street...the dry campus bummed out some students at cal poly and when i was there, there wasn't really a good beer supplier for kegs and what not...a couple of poly students who were business majors dropped out and started a kegger business and did really well being the first...they got tired studying about the theory of doing business in some classroom and put their heads to work

i wonder if that business became slo brewing...it would be interesting to see what the case was over the years with san luis obispo and that town's uneasy relationship with alcohol...i think the town is still very very religious from what i can see

i used to live a couple hours north of slo in pacific grove which was one of california's last cities to allow the sell of liquor products...due to the fact it was also a religious retreat town (for methodists)

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If I remember, I'll ask them the next time I'm there. They have great root beer there too, or maybe it's just the atmosphere that makes it tastes good. They have live entertainment, but I've somehow managed to be miss it by being there at the wrong time of day every time I've visited.

24. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hehe... the architecture building is actually somewhat of an embarrasement with its spectacular ugliness. Not to fear though, a new architecture/construction management building is in the works and should be under way this fall. The original with all those colorful pipes was originally supposed to look much different. It was built in the '70's when inflation was running around 15% a year, so between when the building was designed and when it was submitted for approval, it had gone well over budget because of inflation. So they stripped a bunch of the cool stuff and submitted it again. Again inflation had made the cost go above the budget. Then everything cool was removed and it was built over budget anyway. The whole lower court area was intended to be enclosed, and the walls between the structural columns were supposed to be infilled with brick. Instead we got asbestos panels and an open courtyard. Oh well. Plus that building is frigid at 4 in the morning. We'd be there huddled over a glue gun just to stay warm!

Oh, and SLO Brew has some really good shows. Mostly punk and alternative stuff, and you can only have a couple hundred people there at most. There just aren't many good venues here. I guess I'm pretty spoiled since I moved here from Santa Cruz where there is always some great musical act playing in some great little club. The one really good place that would hold about 1000 people and had great acoustics was shut down after 9/11 because although it is a part of the Cuesta Community College, the road and the land the auditorium is on are technically on the next door National Guard base. Bummer.

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

hey, mactastic,

is the architecture program still five years, with a grad school option of one year?

in my other business i do besides computers, i am in landscaping and a lot of the people in monterey county are poly grads...they have a four year landscaping degree but the fifth year is a master's in the field, and somehow poly has a setup where you can get a joint landscaping and agribusiness degree which makes sense because as i have learned the hard way, half of any job you do as a self employed business is getting clients, doing your books, following leads, and being ever aware of the taxman and write-offs

i think the setup i remember was, if you chose classes that counted as both business and ag, or business and ornamental horticulture, and made sure some of the undergrad classes passed as first year grad classes, too...then you could get a BS and MS in five years, or a landscaping MS and MBA in six years

traditionally, getting two master's would take a total of eight years and there would be a waste of two years that you could actually be out in the field making more money

i like the idea of doing that *five years to masters or six years for two masters, and i wish my other school i went to combined stuff more readily...but they are a private college and they want you to take as many classes as possible at 1200 to 1600 dollars a pop...i know. my credit card still has a balance from some classes i took:p