Yay or Nay on Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by neoelectronaut, Feb 6, 2005.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Okay, anyone out there have a Mac and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse? How's the response time? Good for gaming? Will batteries be a problem?

General thoughts and comments?
  2. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    Eugene, OR
    i'm interested in the battery life too.
    My logitech wireless combo seems to have a 3 foot range and poor battery life (especially the mouse)
  3. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Yep - no worries. I have the Apple wireless Keyboard and a Logitech MX 900 mouse. I play unreal tournament on my PowerBook - no problemo.

As for batteries, the keyboard lasts for about a month and a bit on alkaline batteries. If I play on the weekends (18 hours or so :p) the mouse needs recharging but it only takes about 45 mins it charge back up.

One thing you can do is to use a light coloured mousemat with bluetooth mice (optical mice too) as it is apparently easier for the mice to track on a light coloured surface.

4. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    You might need to replace the batteries in your mouse - you have thet mx 900 right? Other than that you can try draining the mouse fully and then charging it fully. The batteries that ship with the logitech mouse (NiMH) have a memory effect so you might not be charging your batteries to their full potential ;)

5. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

Nov 12, 2004
    The Apple BT mouse and keyboard have been great. Response time is excellent with no skipping or jumping, and the feel of both is solid. My batteries are on their 4th month and going strong!
  6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Keyboard great. Mouse a mixed bag--batteries run out too frequently (I'm on third set in 4 months). But no wires is top notch--the cords on the standard KB/mouse are too short to reach the back of the computer if you have a keyboard tray.
  7. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    my apple bt mouse is pretty decent. everything seems fine for me with regardsto responce time. the bateries that came with it initially lasted me ages but since then i have been using el cheapo ones that dont last as long, prob my fault for buying the cheapest available!
  8. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2004
    I know its not BT but i have the MX1000 and i love it. Goes for weeks (14-20 days) beteen charges. Charges in about 90 minutes. I love it. Its nice and solid.
  9. ephex macrumors member

Oct 24, 2004
    Well, I have my apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse sitting in my room on my desk, but since my powerbook has yet to arrive I can't comment on anything besides aesthetics. And in that aspect, they are the best I've seen.

Keyboard has a PERFECT feel to it as well.
  10. cemorris macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2004
    I have both the Apple keyboard and mouse for 4 months. Neither of them have skipped a beat and no lag time. I have not had to replace the batteries in the keyboard yet. I replaced the batteries in the mouse after a couple of months. I replaced them with Nickel Metal 1800mah energizer batteries from Target which I highly recomend over standard alkaline batteries. They last much longer, plus you get to recharge them. I will put the same batteries in the keyboard when they eventually wear out.
  11. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA

I have the Apple BT keyboard and mouse w/ BT on my G5 iMac. I love them both. I have replaced the batteries in the mouse once so far and I got my G5 a few months ago. Keyboard is still running on the first set. I'm thinking of getting a new BT mouse that has 2 buttons. I saw one that looks alot like an apple mouse only... it has 2 buttons and a scroll wheel.

I have had one problem. I had an old AGFA USB scanner (one of the first USB scanners) If I have the scanner pluged in at boot time, the BT mouse will stop working. I can still use the scnanner but only if I plug in after I boot up. I recently got ride of the scanner and got a HP all in one print/scan/copy ... works fine with BT.

12. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

May 20, 2004
    Ergonomic BT Keyboard?

Does anyone know if there's a BT ergonomic split keyboard out there?
  13. rkphoto macrumors regular

Feb 1, 2005
    I just got an iMac with the BT keyboard/ mouse setup. Love the keyboard, works and feels perfect (solid). My only problem with the mouse is that the extra weight of the batteries in the mouse makes it kind of heavy in mouse intensive work (I do a lot of Photoshop retouching). Having said this, I am moving to this mouse from the old iMac G3 hockey puck roller ball mouse that came with my old G3 iMac that I really liked (most hated them, I believe).The Bluetooth works great and is very precise. I'll probably get used to the weight. Good Luck!

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    ive had my keyboard and mouse combo with my powerbook for some time now, they keyboard is top notch quality, its solid, they response time is great, no lag whatsoever, and the batteries last for months on it, and i dont turn it off ever either

the mouse has a great response time as well, solid feel to it, very smooth and good to hold in your hand, after using it, i feel all other mice are rather cheap feeling in comparison, although in game play the batteries can get worn down rather quickly, and intensive use can wear them down further, my only suggestion would be to get some rechargeable batteries for the mouse at least, it will save a lot of time and energy if you ask me
  15. devman macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Well I'll add my voice to the chorus. I've got the Apple BT keyboard and mouse. Both work great - never had any lag or such problems and battery life has been very good.
  16. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    Nope... I haven't seen one. I don't understand why not. I actually think the ergonomic split keyboards are the best layout...

On a side note, I just bit the bullet and bought the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse. Yes, I realize it's only a 1 button mouse, but I don't care.
  17. angelneo macrumors 68000

Jun 13, 2004
    The only issue I have with my bluetooth mouse is the battery lifespan. Mine only last for about a month plus before I need to change a fresh pair. Rechargeable batteries would be more economical.
  18. Digiepad macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2005
    i have an iBook and i have the bluetooth mouse but while im playing games i dont realy use it im better with the track pad (i dont know y)