Yayyy, speculation!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by alxths, Feb 17, 2004.

1. alxths macrumors 6502

So, even though they are rumoured to have been receiving them for at least a couple of weeks now, apple still has yet to impliment the new 970FX cpus into the powermac line up... a speed bump to 2.5 GHz would have been well recieved a couple of weeks ago, and a month or so wait while they get the computers ready would have been very typical of apple. So why didn't they update them? Recently we found that the 970FX clocked at 2.5, is actually more power effecient than the 970 clocked at 2.0...so, my question is: could apple be implimenting some sort of stronger cooling method(water cooling, for example) to push these bad boys up to 3.0 GHz, for Marchish?

Anyone know of any reasons why not?

edit: just to clarify, water cooling would actually be more of a noise problem since it would require a radiator with fairly powerfull fans to get rid of all the heat that the water's taken away from the CPU.

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

hmmmm, no I can't say anything negative about it. Though unlikely considering Apple's previous trackrecord, but if I was Apple's CEO, I would indeed do just that.

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

...which is why it probably won't happen. Apple seems to defy logic on product release.

4. tiktokfx macrumors regular

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, prolly won't happen but it would be the logical choice considering all the gripes with noise. Liquid Cooling would make the G5 run cooler and quieter and possibly allow for faster clock speeds sooner.

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

water cooling

It would kill the noise, but what about the power that would take to keep the water flowing. That is the only thing that comes to mind. And it would also kill the need for the fans needing to be controlled, which was one of the G5 big selling points. I don't think untill we are pushing over 3 to see anything water cooled.

Water cooling in a laptop, I really do think Apple is working on that so they can get a G5 into the PB with no heat problems.

7. tiktokfx macrumors regular

There's a reason no mass market computers use water cooling.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

EXACTLY!
    i make fun of this every D#$N time it comes up... where are you going to store the tank of cool water to exchange with the heated water!?!? they use air cooling because you release the heat straight to the outside environment! and water cooling in a laptop? how is that going to make the thing in any way thin or light?

:( :( :(

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

water cooling still requires fans....

anyone here know how a radiator works? :rolleyes:

Its a closed system, and works better than air since the heat transfer is more efficient. That said, I don't see it happening - if there was ever a leak, and you can't guarantee it won't happen, there goes the whole computer.....

D

10. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point mr. anderson...(ha, that's kind of fun to say)

Maybe they'll make one with ultra powerfull fans? A Powerpowermac, for people who need power, regardless of what kind of noise it makes..

I think, ona whole, this would be more of a publicity stunt, than something to have a lot of real practical value, heh..

11. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Hehhehe... this would give the whole "Aqua" scheme a whole new meaning ;) :D

12. Ge4-ce macrumors regular

Ge4-ce

Hmm..

Be carefull guys.. Watercooling is just a matter of speaking..

Actually it is called: Liqued Cooling..

www.cooligy.com

here you can see how it actually works.. And yes, it could be that it would still need a fan to cool the radiator, but LEAKS?? No way..

if you drop your laptop or powermac that bad that it breaks these things,.. you would have damaged your system anyway..

This is an entirely closed system where the liquied is being transported by a very special pump. something like magnetic propulsion.. With ions and stuff..

It's being used in servers and high-end computer facilities allready.

Why not in a Mac?

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

And IBM notebooks since 96.