Yea..Yet Another...iMac or MB buying decision?...Your help would be appreciated!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wpwj40e, Feb 16, 2007.

1. wpwj40e macrumors regular

So I switched last January. Got a 20" iMac and after some initial issues - ended up with a computer/operating system I flat out love.

Just sold it (well still have it - but buyer awaiting me getting a new one:) and was gonna get the 24" iMAC cuase I have salivated after that ever since it was announced. However, have been hankering after a small footprint laptop.

I do not "game"...well I do - but my games do not need graphic cards:)
    I do utilize quite a bit of storage and currently have 55g just in iTunes for my ipod.
    The majoirty of my usage is sitting in my office....but the thought of wandering the house - taking it downstairs to the main TV and playing around, going on trips - you know the whole portability thing.....
    I do use bootcamp as a I have a few seldom used programs that require full blown windows.

I picked up a 37" Westy 1080p TV/monitor really cheap during the holidays that I could use as a monitor (although my family would then require me to replace this TV in the den where it is currently used).

My primary uses are the typical iLife appls, elgato 500 for recording/burning tv shows off to my ipod, web browsing, MS office apps (have the mac version), games(think bejeweled, poker etc), mail and the typical low level usage.

However - I do tend to have many applications open at the same time and muti task all the time. Burning a movie, listening to iTunes, typing a paper, and 15-25 web sessions open. One of the reasons for the screen real estate.

$$$ are not a huge issue...do NOT want a portable that is 15" - smaller the better. SO MB would be my only choice....

AM stuck - should I go fof the 24" iMAC - screen real estate, processor/storage etc

or...for the MB...use my 37" Westy maybe add an external to augment storage and have to buy a new TV for the den......(thats not necessarily a BAD thing:))

I do have a work laptop(WIN) that I can only use for work - as in no unauthorized apps - so I do not bring this with me for anything non work related.

Help me figure out my priorities:)

Thanks
    Therese

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Well the MB is mroe than capable for what you want to do. It can drive the 1080P Westy as well (good choice).

If you need the portability go for the MB. Set yourself up a little docking station. Maybe an iCurve or elevator and a wireless keyboard and mouse. That way you can grab it when you need it or leave it when you don't.

3. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Go with the macbook. I got my PB back in September of '04, and I fell in love with having a laptop. I'd consider getting a desktop as a second computer, but I'm always gonna use a laptop as my primary.

4. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Power - portability = iMac

Portability - power = MacBook

It all depends on which is more important to you, power or portability. Put as much RAM as you can afford into either one you get, and running lots of stuff will be a breeze.

5. wpwj40e thread starter macrumors regular

Yea...That is the 64K question:) Although with inflation......

Either would be upgraded ram wise - a necessity...
    The power appears to be very similar to me across the board - both are core 2 duo - slight difference in processor speed - not sure i would notice that difference in what i do....the lone exception being the graphics capability which I would not upgrade in the iMac anyways due to my lack of need there.

Hard drive space - that is an issue...But could be solved.

Definetley would have a mini work space set up with monitor(37 westy), keyboard , mouse etc...

What " power" am I not seeing here....I do not mean this question in a sarcastic manner - rather truly trying to understand. I pretty much assumed almost identical power - so hence the need to ask...

Thanks
    Therese

6. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Let's see... graphics card, possibly faster processor, more HD space... Yep, you got it. The only decision now is whether you want the portability or not. :)

7. wpwj40e thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to all who replied:)

I ordered my...................2.0 C2D White Macbook today. My SO, who got tired of me not being able to make a decision - said...get both! SO I decided to order the Macbook and see how it goes. If I feel I am missing my iMac (which will be around for awhile longer) then I will order the 24"....hopefully after some sort of update is done. Either way with a new...actually refurb....Macbook on the way....I can certainly stand to wait and see what haeppens in the next few months!!!!

Now going off to order my Speck see thru red case and my lap top bag. Feel like a kid at Christmas:D

Thanks Again!
    Therese