Year of the Notebook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by brainless, Feb 5, 2003.

1. brainless macrumors member

Oct 10, 2001
    As Jobs called this Year to be a Year of the Notebook, I wonder how many portable products we can expect this year ?
    I like new 12' Al model, but still think Apple should introduce real subnotebook without Optical drive and at about half the wight of the current 12'. I'd like to see a touchscreen support and possibly an external BT keyboard. Any ideas ?
  2. Rajj macrumors 6502a

May 29, 2002
    32° 44' N 117° 10' W
    It won’t happened, because Jobs was talking about how crazy it was for a notebook not to have an optical drive!!!
  3. Das macrumors regular

Jan 28, 2003
    Well, apparently it will be the year of the notebook on both platforms. Intel's bringing out their Centrino chip (check the review) which will usher in a new age of notebooks.

Personally, I'd die a happy man if it was with a Tablet powerbook clutched in my decaying hands. Maybe Apple can make an actual tablet that you would want (e.g. no craptacular PIII). That, matched with Jag's inkwell would just plain kick arse.

As for no optical drive, I agree with xrhajj, Apple won't release a PB billed as a desktop replacement and not include an optical drive. Heck, they wouldn't even release one without a burner.
  4. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

Aug 24, 2002
    I'd like an Apple SubNoteBook as well...and I should have no internal optical drive. This would not be an iBook or a would be something totally new. Of course this would not be desktop replacement. Until Apple releases this, I'll keep using this brand new 12" pBook. Remember, before 1-07-03, nobody thought that a 12" PowerBook would exist either.
  5. brainless thread starter macrumors member

Oct 10, 2001
    I am aware of that note Jobs have made and I see it as the biggest obstacle in a way of Apple subnotebook. There is no practical reason behind it, if you won't consider such machine as "desktop replacement" but rather "pda on steroids", a lightweight machine which you can take with you everywhere. 12' PB is too big and heavy for that purpose.
    As was said, it would be a whole new market for Apple