Yeeesh. I still don't know how to make file sharing in OS X work...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GeneR, Apr 29, 2003.

1. GeneR macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2003
    The land of delusions, CA.
    I can't get it. It's just an elusive answer. If someone wouldn't mind helping me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I went to the Apple Store today in Pasadena and got a criss-cross cable so I could connect my G3 BW tower and my G3 iBook together. Both are running OS 10.1.5 and I really do not know much more than the following:

I placed the ethernet cable in both.
    I went to System Preferences >Sharing >
    Started File Sharing

Did that with both computers.

Now what? I'm too used to Ethernet on the old OS to understand what I need to do. If someone wouldn't mind giving me some info I'd really appreciate it. When file sharing is on, shouldn't I see both computer's hard drives on each screen just like OS 9? If not, does a new folder appear? And if so, what's it's name, and where? Does the System Preferences Network setting have to be changed in some way? Does AppleTalk fit into the equation? Thanks!

I'm losing more hair by the moment over this...
  2. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2002
    Hold apple and hit the K key. You should know what to do from there.
  3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Go to connect to server and under the top I believe their would be another hard drive you can connect too.

There will be another harddrive double click enter username/pass tada.
  4. GeneR thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2003
    Uh, I'm getting there...

I pressed Apple+K and got the Connect to Server window. And there is a folder, Local Network, with nothing in it. I am guessing that there is suppose to be the other computer listed? Hmmm. I dunno.

Okay, okay, okay! :D

I think I got it. I went back after not seeing anything in the Local Network to:

System Preferences > Network >
    Changed Show: from modem to ethernet.
    The Appletalk tab showed up.
    I clicked on the tab that says, Make AppleTalk Active...
    I closed out of System Preferences
    I did Apple+K again and got a different folder:

I clicked on AppleTalk folder and the two user accounts (one for each computer) showed up.
    I am in the process of authenticating as we speak. Crossing my fingers...
  5. GeneR thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2003

After I did Apple button + K and selected the local network folder, two usernames popped up: one for my tower the other for my ibook. I guess I'm a bit baffled. I tried selecting the iBook username when on my G3 Tower, and the G3 Tower username on my iBook. And vice versa.

Each time I get this sign:

No file services are available at the URL afp://
    (my ip address here)

Try again later or try a different URL (server returned error -1)

I'm sorry for being a bother, but is there something I'm doing wrong at this stage? Thanks!