Yeesh! Doesn't the new HULK look like a green Stretch-Armstrong?

Discussion in 'Community' started by GeneR, May 5, 2003.

1. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

I just saw the trailer for the new Ang Lee film, the Incredible Hulk. For some odd reason every time I saw the hulk move, I thought about either:

1.) A green Stretch-Armstrong toy. (Remember those?)

2.) A green piece of bubble gum ready to pop.

or

3.) Jello.

Was it just me? :D

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

omg, the stretch armstrong. wow those are some memories. I remember that umm, armstrong got stabbed and started to bleed that sand stuff. woops he sorta fell. anyway i have digressed. I agree that the hulk is well err quite odd looking.

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

he is a little cgi-lookin'. but the real question is...can he act? :p

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

What's he supposed to look like? Human? He's a comic book character for god sakes. I think it's great. This summer is great with all the movies coming out I just can't wait for I just might pee myself. Well maybe not I don't want to be confused with Jello.

My current list in order of desire to see.

Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions
    Lord of the Rings Return of the King
    Terminator 3
    The Hulk

X-Men 2 was awesome. I think it was better then the first. I actually want to see it again.

5. sillymacgirl macrumors member

Nope, it's not just you...however I was thinking more along the lines of the blob, with arms and legs LOL

And it's a computer generated animation...I personally think they should have used a person, just like they did in the show. Did Lou Ferrigno(sp?) have any kids that could have auditioned for the part?!?! :)

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

After all the 'roids those guys took, I'd be surprised if any of them have kids.

Plus, a person couldn't grab a tank and fling it across the grand canyon.

7. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

This movie is well-positioned to be the Godzilla of 2003.

(That's the Matthew Brerick version of Godzilla for those of you who have repressed the memories.)

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I remember watching that show on TV, great show! Agree you you sillymac girl, would have preferred real actors. Most of the comic strips have been done with live actors, like Superman and Spiderman! Guess they had their reason! ;)

9. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

CGI best way to go for The Hulk

I think that a CGI Hulk is a far more appropriate realization for the screen than any actor, even a professional body builder.

Now can someone explain to me why his purple shorts do not get ripped in the transformation. At the very least, wouldn't they cause some discomfort in the Hulk's privates?

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you rang?

i haven't taken a close look at the trailer... but i don't think a human would look any less cheesy if they tried to use compositing and maybe miniatures to achieve the effects... it's just a different type of cheesy. whether or not they pull of a realistic look is up to the artists.

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: CGI best way to go for The Hulk

as a hugely muscular guy with little to speak of down under, i can only imagine that the hulk suffers the same fate as myself....

12. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    Re: Re: CGI best way to go for The Hulk

haha, is that a dream or a nightmare of yours?? ;)

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Re: Re: CGI best way to go for The Hulk

the nightmare that is my life....

14. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

ooh, didn't realise Jennifer Connelly was in it, I saw her on the Letterman show when i went to a taping, damn she looked amazing, and she's from my 'hood in Brooklyn too :)

yeah you're right about the way Hulk looks though. too CG, and by that I think I mean, too shiny and bouncy. Almost cartoony. I don't remember him being that huge in the TV series though, that was years ago mind, when I were knee high to a grasshopper :) .

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

This isn't about the TV series this is about the comic book that started years before the TV series. Stan Lee says this is the way he wanted the Hulk to be seen to start with. The problem is there is no human on earth that is big enough to play the actual Hulk.

16. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

ahhhh, suddenly it all becomes clear. cheers for that. i've never read the comic, only seen the tv show. that's cool then if Mr Lee approves, might have to go see it now :)

17. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

I'm all for the Hulk being CG. The real question is "Will it look like Gollum CG, or Jar-Jar CG?"

For me, this would be the make-or-break for this movie. If it's really good cg, like Gollum in Lord of the Rings, the movie is gonna rock.

And no ammount of CG could ever out-dazzle Jennifer Connelly.:D

18. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Honestly, I'm really not too worried about the Hulk looking fake. If the story draws us in, we won't be paying any attention to the technicalities. With Ang "Crouching Tiger" Lee directing, I have high hopes. What I AM worried about is if he decides to get too existential (like, what is the meaning of life/what is it to be human) which might turn off a lot of people.

19. GeneR thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeneR

I think he looks like the comic book, but...

I always liked reading the comic book. Especially when Hulk went against either Machine Man or Doc Samson. But when the Hulk yells at one point in the trailer, he seemed to jiggle like a bowl full of green jello (no offense Jello! :D) or water balloons. And I almost laughed out loud. :D

Jennifer Connolly:
    YES! YES! Very beautiful. Very happy to see her face again. :D I'm glad that she is finally getting more roles. And I don't think the Hulk's CG is going to be a problem for her coming off of A Beautiful Mind.

Ang Lee:
    I like Ang Lee's directing. I hope this does well just to see him continue to provide great movies. However, I am still concerned that CG-Hulk may be a difficult obstacle if enough people start laughing at the wrong parts of the film... or don't go see the film at all.

However... we're just going to have to wait and see, n'est pas?

:D

20. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: I think he looks like the comic book, but...

I'll have to rewatch the trailer but I got the image that he was shaking with pure fury. He looked really, really, really pissed to me when he yelled, temper-tantrum furious.

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Re: Yeesh! Doesn't the new HULK look like a green Stretch-Armstrong?

yup... just you....

;)

I think he does look very CGI-ish, but he doesn't look stretchy,
    gummy, or jello-y. :)

22. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I thought the Hulk tv show was the bomb:D. Seeing a wicked jacked guy covered with green paint made it realistic (unless he was throwing cars and running through walls).

Isn't there a new Batman movie coming out sometime?

23. GeneR thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeneR

I liked the Bill Bixby Show too!

I guess I grew up on that TV Show as well. I always thought Jack McGee was a jerk (for some strange reason. :D).

It would be cool if Lou Ferrigno (sp?) did make a cameo in the film. That would really, really make it worthwhile for me. :D

24. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

25. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Cameos, cartoony CGI & gray Hulk

Personally I find cameos over-indulgent in the part of the film-makers and they have little effect other than to remind you that you are watching a movie.

The Hulk in the movie looks more like Shreck than Gollum. Cartoony as it may be, I think this look suits this particular character very well.

By the way, can any Hulk readers out there explain to me why the Hulk went through a period of being gray? Was this the same character as the green Hulk?