Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
broken_keyboard said:
I just spent several hours playing with Yellow Dog Linux.
I take back every nasty thing I ever said about OS X.
We don't know how lucky we are :)

linux however isn't so bad on x86 hardware. it's gotten A LOT better really. If YDL had support for airport extreme i would install it just to mess with some stuff once in awhile but.. since it doesn't.. oh well.

chanoc

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska USA
kingjr3 said:
I found it to be a viable solution for old pre-G3 power macs. Ran quite decently on my 6100.

I played with linux on a G3 Power Mac, a lot faster than OS-X. Although I prefer X86 Fedora Core 3 on my x86 machine.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Westside guy said:
FWIW Fedora also has a PPC port - they're encouraging people to try it out.

Well, Fedora is just Red Hat rebranded, and from what I understood YDL is based on RedHat (given the fact that they didn't eliminate all the RedHat references in their install screens), so wouldn't they be the same or very similar.

All this talk of PPC linux has me wanting to try it out again.

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
I tried Yellow Dog 4 on my iBook. It totally sucked, Ubuntu is much better in my opinion. It detected all my hardware fine and didnt give me any weird issues unlike Yellow Dog. Fedora is a good distro but Yellow Dog sucks.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
broken_keyboard said:
I just spent several hours playing with Yellow Dog Linux.
I take back every nasty thing I ever said about OS X.
We don't know how lucky we are :)
Yeah, that was my impression of it too. In my opinion, there's only so much you need to be able to tweak down to the nth degree....but even so, if you have that many settings, shouldn't there be one to enable trackpad tapping withOUT having to manually edit a configuration file?

Maybe I should have installed Gnome instead of KDE. I hear that's a bit more user friendly. Of course, that wouldn't have solved the problem of having a bug in the netconfig that made both AirPort and wired Ethernet useless.

All in all, more trouble than I had the time for just then. Someday I'll take it back out and give it another go.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Anyone tried Knoppix for PPC? I once downloaded the .iso and tried to make a bootable CD from it using Disk Utility, but alas the resulting CD wasn't recognized as being bootable.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
kingjr3 said:
Well, Fedora is just Red Hat rebranded, and from what I understood YDL is based on RedHat (given the fact that they didn't eliminate all the RedHat references in their install screens), so wouldn't they be the same or very similar.

Fedora is quite a bit more cutting edge than Redhat, more like Redhat's old "Rawhide" packages; but you're right - they'd be very similar. Actually if Fedora PPC works I don't know why anyone would want Yellow Dog actually.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
wrldwzrd89 said:
Anyone tried Knoppix for PPC? I once downloaded the .iso and tried to make a bootable CD from it using Disk Utility, but alas the resulting CD wasn't recognized as being bootable.

I think I tried and failed as well. I'd be interested in trying again if someone has a surefire method to get it to work...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.