Yellow line on the screen of G4 400mhz Titanium Powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by adamjay, Feb 25, 2004.

1. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

i recently bought this machine "as:is" knowing that it had the line. and since the 15" is a widescreen , and most of my app's dont require the extra room to the right (where the line is) it hasn't really bothered me. plus i got it for $350 so i have no room to bitch.

but i was wondering if anyone knew of what is causing the problem and how hard or easy it would be to fix it.

some info:

the line is only 1 pixel wide and runs vertically about 2 inches from the right side of the screen.

if i flex the top of the screen (pulling the right towards me, and the left away from me) it goes away , but only while its flexed. it also turns from yellow to pink before it goes away when i do that.

the hinges are in great condition considering what problems other folks have had with this "Mercury" model. they are pretty tight and hold the screen in place, with exception to when it is being closed and is only a couple inches from closing.

so with all of that said, what are my options?

2. adamjay thread starter macrumors 6502a

adamjay

3. dudewheresmymac macrumors member

take it to your nearest apple store and have them look at it... if they can fix it for cheap then great for you but if they cant then oh well it is always worth a shot

4. Barham macrumors regular

Hey Adamjay,

I have a Mercury 500 TiBook and it has the same problem, only my line is pretty close to center and it's pink. There's also a light blue line developing in the same place where you described yours.

I just flex the screen a little when it shows up and it goes away. It's had me worried. I think I'll take it in to my University computer store, but I don't want to have to send it off.

It seems like it only happens when it is closed and in my backpack (spire powerbook special). It's not from poor treatment because this thing is my baby. It might just be an inherent issue with these particular LCD's. I know that there were problems with Dead pix when they were new, but I never had that problem.

Just wanted you to know that you're not the only one.

-Hasta

5. adamjay thread starter macrumors 6502a

adamjay

thanks man i appreciate it. the seller told me that when flexing the screen it would temporarily go away, but i cant get it to go away at all. as soon as i let go of the screen it comes back. its kind of a non-issue for me , i bought it to use along with my 12" in live music performances and the programs it will be running arent widescreen. but for you... if you were ever thinking of upgrading your mac... the Mercury IS still eligible for the $700 trade in credit towards a new 15" powerbook until Mar.31. something to consider if the screen totally goes to hell. would be nice though if it were just a bad wire somewhere and a <$100 fix.

6. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

The issue is likely from some slightly damaged circuitry in the LCD panel. If you want it fixed, it'll probably cost you on the order of $1K plus labor. From experience, it is likely that over time the line will slowly get wider (it was up to about 5 or 6 pixels wide on my old PBG4 when it gave in to motherboard failure). There really isn't anything you can do to permanently fix it on the cheap - you'd need to replace the LCD completely.

7. bluetrepidation macrumors member

If you've ever taken a wristwatch apart then you know how the screen connects to the circuit board. LCD screens are similar and with age these little rubber connections come loose. This is why when you flex your screen it goes away. Flexing it causes it to reconnect. Now you could take your screen apart and fix it but you risk destroying your computer. What I would do is instead of trying to disassemble this connection I would put some paper wedges in to apply a bit more pressure to the connector so it stays connected. Most likely taking this connector apart and trying to clean it would result it your LCD never working again so applying pressure like you do when you flex the screen is much safer. Heck for $350 I'd give it a go but that's just me I take everything I own apart.

Hope this helps,
    A.J.

8. adamjay thread starter macrumors 6502a

adamjay

thanks for the replies guys... if the line gets 1 or 2 pixels wider, or other lines develop, i'll jump in and try the jury-rig modification. but if not, i'll leave it be and count my blessings for the good deal i got.

a buddy of mine who used to work at the local CompUSA tech repair dept. could probably fix it, he used to take apart ibooks for sh*ts & giggles, but he moved to Chicago so next time i'm in Chicago with the Mercury i'll have him look at it, pro-bono.

thanks again..