Yellow Minimize button disapeared?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JDN, Feb 6, 2007.

1. JDN macrumors 6502a

In MSN and iTunes, when i put the mouse on the minimise button, it doesn't show up. Close and the + button show up, but now little yellow minimize button. Im confused! Anyone got any ideas? Both programs work perfectly well otherwise.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

4. JDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeh but the problem comes back within 10 minutes of re-starting/re-opening

5. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

I don't know if this is your issue or not, but I had an issue on my Intel MacBook where, after opening/closing certain applications or after an arbitrary amount of time, my minimize button would become grayed out. It seemed to affect Carbon apps more than Cocoa, but...

Killing the Dock.app process manages to restore the ability to minimize until it fails again. Mine was fixed by deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist and ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist. EDIT: I think the problem child lies in the first file, rather than the latter, but since killing Dock.app temporarily restored the ability to minimize, I opted to trash it as well. Log out and log back in, or restart, this will then reset your Dock and Menu Extras to their default state. I did this months ago and haven't had the issue since.

If you wish, you can make backups of these two files by copying them elsewhere and restore them if it doesn't fix the problem.

6. gollum macrumors regular

You just had to say something, I just noticed mine gone on Safari.
    I have a two week old MacBook, 1st Intel machine, guess I'll have to try one these tricks!