Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
I have some vintage macs in my garage. Some are yellowed, and some are still prefectly beige. What makes them yellow? If I put a non-yellowed mac next to a yellowed one, will it become yellowed also? Is there anything I can do to remove the yellowing? I've seen somone on ebay who restored a CC and de-yellowed it. Please let me know!~

FullmetalZ26

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
I remember reading about a product called CIF awhile back that was recommended for de-yellowing old Apple cases. It's some sort of cleaning agent with either chlorine or bleach that re-whitens the plastic somehow. It was highly recommended by other collectors, but I wonder what it would do to screen printed logos and such...

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
FullmetalZ26 said:
^ Is that only for the glass cleaners that contain Ammonia, or is it all of them?

Im not sure I tend to stay away from all glass cleaners just in case. the Mr. Clean magic erasers work really good on ALL Macs I use it to clean my PowerBook and iMac G4

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
Spock said:
Im not sure I tend to stay away from all glass cleaners just in case. the Mr. Clean magic erasers work really good on ALL Macs I use it to clean my PowerBook and iMac G4

That's what I was thinking he could use to clean them. Mr. Clean magic erasers are...magic.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
so if I use the Expo Whitebord cleaner stuff on my old macs it could make them start to yellow? What about rubbing alcohol?

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
i know my AIO case is flawless and has the normal color but the school that had is used a sharpie on the side ov it and wrote the name of the school it was from. wich pi$$es me off cause the case has no scratches what so ever and the color of the case is not yellowed at all

would that Mr. Clean magic erasers work to get the sharpie off without messing the case up

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
madmax_2069 said:
i know my AIO case is flawless and has the normal color

A truly flawless platinum-colored Macintosh will be a very light gray, not really beige. The only machines I've ever seen that are actaully still this color are those that have managed to survive in unopened boxes, which is so hard to come by these days.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
its the same color as the new beige pioneer DVR 110D i bought actualy the case is a bit lighter. i call it beige cause most people call it that color or platnum but more people call it beige. i guess you can compair it to the Power Macintosh G3 label on the lower front.

its basicly the same sept the lable is that reflector type of stuff as soon as light hits it you can see it from a way's back so there is a hint of colot diffrence cause of the type of meterial that the label uses. but its not in the slightest bit yellowed.

ive taken it out side to look at it in better light that would have made the color (if yellowed) stand out . the normal light bulb in the house makes everything look a bit yellow. now the KB and mouse are yellowed and you can tell it but not the case. no scratches no yellowing

ive worked on a Beige G3 that was yellowed a bit and compaired it to mine and mine looked white compaired to his. i know its not white but i used that as a refrence he even commented that my AIO looked new. im happy to have somthing that look's new

i dont even touch the case/ buttons i use a apple script to open and close the drive door.

but any how would that hurt the case if i used that Mr. clean magic eraser to attempt to take the sharpie off the side "darn that school"

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
fatandlazy11 said:
Hand sanitizer (The soap that doesn't need water.) Gets off Sharpie pretty good. (Wiotha little elbow grease) However, i've never used it on a mac...

Are You talking about some thing like Germ-X?

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
yea i want somthing that wont cause yellowing, or scratch the case

my friend just told me to use 91%-99% rubbing alcohol, not the cheap 70% or 80%

will this damage the case or yellow it or mess it up

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
skipskop24 said:
That's what I was thinking he could use to clean them. Mr. Clean magic erasers are...magic.

those are abrasive. do not press hard or you can scratch the case. but it will not remove yellowing, sharpie yes

what i did was took some 91%- 99% rubbing alcohol and went over the sharpie marks a few times which takes allot of it off and finish up with a few passes with the Mr. clean magic eraser spounge but do not press hard cause if you do you will take a chance of making a dull spot on the case

iBookCT77

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2006
West Hartford, CT
Apple forgets its own lingo sometimes.

Prior to iMac, and excluding PowerBooks and other oddities like MacTV and the like, there were three colors that Apples had come in.

1) Beige-- This is the color of an Apple //e (w/o numeric keypad) and earlier Apple II's; Macintosh 128/512/ke and early pluses; /// and ///plus; Lisa and Lisa 2.

In normal lingo, these are brown computers (case is light brown; keys are darker)

2) [white]--Don't think Apple ever named this color; The original Apple //c was this color. Oddly enough so was the ImageWriter II until the platinum (see below) switchover in 1986-1987. The Imagewriter's never quite matched the //e's and macs of the time until then.

In normal lingo, the //c was white with the keys being pretty close to the light beige that the case of the beige machines were made of.

IMHO these kinda looked like a faded and yellowed platinum machine right out of the box.

3) Platinum.--All computers from the introduction of the Macintosh SE, II and apple IIgs right up until the iMac were this color.

All models had the same color keys and cases with the exception of the Platinum //e which had dark plat. (grey) key caps. The AppleColor Monitor //e also sported this darker color around the screen. Early UniDisk 5.25's may have had that dark color for the drive latch, really can't remember.

Apple seemed to have forgotten its naming of this color as "platinum" when it went Bondi-Blue. Calling identically colored Wintel machines "Beige" confuses the whole 1987 Beige-to Platinum conversion.

Unless.... Apple calls any previous newly obsoletified color scheme "Beige." For instance if in 2007 apple decided that all new Macs were to be gold-plated; the current white and metalic models would be now called "beige."

-Phil

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
iBookCT77 said:
Apple forgets its own lingo sometimes.

Prior to iMac, and excluding PowerBooks and other oddities like MacTV and the like, there were three colors that Apples had come in.

1) Beige-- This is the color of an Apple //e (w/o numeric keypad) and earlier Apple II's; Macintosh 128/512/ke and early pluses; /// and ///plus; Lisa and Lisa 2.

In normal lingo, these are brown computers (case is light brown; keys are darker)

2) [white]--Don't think Apple ever named this color; The original Apple //c was this color. Oddly enough so was the ImageWriter II until the platinum (see below) switchover in 1986-1987. The Imagewriter's never quite matched the //e's and macs of the time until then.

In normal lingo, the //c was white with the keys being pretty close to the light beige that the case of the beige machines were made of.

IMHO these kinda looked like a faded and yellowed platinum machine right out of the box.

3) Platinum.--All computers from the introduction of the Macintosh SE, II and apple IIgs right up until the iMac were this color.

All models had the same color keys and cases with the exception of the Platinum //e which had dark plat. (grey) key caps. The AppleColor Monitor //e also sported this darker color around the screen. Early UniDisk 5.25's may have had that dark color for the drive latch, really can't remember.

Apple seemed to have forgotten its naming of this color as "platinum" when it went Bondi-Blue. Calling identically colored Wintel machines "Beige" confuses the whole 1987 Beige-to Platinum conversion.

Unless.... Apple calls any previous newly obsoletified color scheme "Beige." For instance if in 2007 apple decided that all new Macs were to be gold-plated; the current white and metalic models would be now called "beige."

-Phil

i guess thats why everyone on the apple forum calles them Beige G3's. and the place at apple forum's named Beige/Platnum to help and ask questions about them. if you go there and say platnum you will be corected to say Beige G3. cause that is what every one call's them there and most other people and very few places call them Power Macintosh G3 or platnum G3's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.