yes or no ibook - powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by raiderz182, Oct 22, 2003.

1. raiderz182 macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2003
    north philly
    i was gona get 12in powerbook but now i have no idea wtf im gonna get... please just reply with "powerbook" or "ibook" with whatever u guys will get... please dont get into technical stuff... i just wanna go with the majority of you people =D
  2. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    planning to do video and burning DVDs: powerbook superdrive

everything else: iBook G4
  3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    I like that iBook 1ghz... the graphics card is more powerful than the 12" PowerBook.
  4. fraeone macrumors regular

Sep 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Comparing a 14" iBook to the 12" PB is sort of convoluted. The form factor is quite different.

It's also worth noting that NVidia claims dx9 performance with the FX5200, and ATI says the 9200 is an 8.1 part.
  5. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    More power? Sleeker, lighter case? PB
    Less cash? Rugged and durable? iBook

6. switchingGeek macrumors member

Oct 11, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Not true!! I saw a review on The Go5200 beats the Radeon 9200 by 20-30% min on almost all the tests.

I just switched to a 12" PBook. If you need the money stay with the 12" Ibook. If the money is not a problem then go for the 12" PBook.

With the education discount, you get $100 off a IBook, and $200 off a PBook, so the price diff is around 300$ IIRC, for similar config. The 12" Ibook, 40Gb, AExtreme, BlueTooth, 256MB RAM, comes to $1,155. The 12"PBook with the exact same config comes to $1480.

Note also that the IBook comes with AppleWorks and the PBook does not. We need to wait for benchmarks, to see how much the reduced cache and 200MHz drop in speed affects things.

Have fun deciding!!
    I would have gone with the IBook had I known about it.. Money is a constraint.
  7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    he's right.
  8. sahnert macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    I bought a 12" powerbook with maxed features for school and have had it now for almost 2 months. I also worked extensively on a 12 iBook last year. Although I love my PowerBook, I think I would recommend the iBook mostly for the lower price. It has nearly all the great features of the Powerbook and in everyday use I hardly notice much of a difference. Especially with the new processors in the iBooks. The other nice thing about the iBooks is the application package which includes AppleWorks, WorldBook Encyclopedia, Quicken, etc. I actually purchased a cd of iMac applications because the PB doesn't come loaded with these awesome programs. The PB is geared for a different puropse and has different types of programs loaded, but for general purpose i like the iBook app package.
    The other issue that comes to mind is the purported heat issue with the 12" PB. Although I have not found it to be a problem, many users report uncomfortably high temperatures coming from the left side of the PB. This is partly due to the aluminium chassis which serves as a cooling mechanism to conduct heat away from the computers "innards". As a result, the fan, which can be somewhat noisy, hardly ever goes on. With the plastic iBook, the fan would go on more frequently (not even close to my roommates annoying Gateway machine), but never to the point where i thought it was a problem.

That's about all i can think of right now. I guess I would suggest the iBook simply because it is an awesome machine at an awesome price and unless you are doing hardcore developing (or maybe hardcore gaming ;-)) it's probably not worth the extra money for the PB. hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more specific questions comparing the two.

Either way you go, you're going to love your machine.

9. cwedl macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003
    Well I bought a 12" powerbook that was before the new G4 iBooks came out, I spend many hours deciding wether to get the powerbook or the ibook, I decided to get the powerbook for many reasons.
    1) G4 processor
    2)Al Shell
    3)Better Graphics Card
    4) More expandable RAM

However what was good about the ibook
    1) Came with appleworks
    2) Cheaper

I have to say that I would still go for the powerbooks, the keyboards are alot better, In fact the keyboard on my 12" powerbook is the best keyboard that I have ever used, This is one of the most important things about a laptop, because you can't change it. The ibook keyboard is horrible, I don't know if they have changed this in the revised ibook.

The ibook has a slot loading drive bay that is very good, I hated the old way of loading the CD's.

The good thing about the powerbooks is that you can get the superdrive option.

with reguards to the appleworks software, I have had to get Microsoft Office V.X anyway for everything University.

The question is would I have bought a revised ibook or powerbook, I have already made my choice, the powerbooks are very nice, If you can't afford them, ibooks are the best option, I have to say I feel sorry for people that have just received a G3 iBook.

My choice, POWERBOOK!!!!
  10. sahnert macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    I actually liked the keyboard on the iBook, although I do concur that the PB is a little nicer. The iBook still wasted any PC keyboard.