YES or NO? Remote access to HDD connected to AE-N

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 17MBPC2D, Feb 19, 2007.

1. 17MBPC2D macrumors regular

YES ~or~ NO?

I have an external HD connected directly to the New Airport Extreme 802.11n.
    AE-n has active 24/7 internet connection up and running always.

QUESTION: Is there a setting inside Airport Utility so that I can access that HD over the internet with password/security?

The tricky part is nothing else is powered on EXCEPT JUST the AE-n and HD connected to it.
    I had wanted to be able to access files on that HD away from home.

Is this possible...

I'm not a network / Bonjour expert.

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Yes, See step 7 of "Sharing and Securing USB Hard Disks on Your AirPort Extreme
    Base Station" in the manual

3. 17MBPC2D thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for responding. BUT this is settings for other computers already connected to the network.

What I am tryin to accomplish is to remotely access my HD (connected to the AE-n) when I am away from home while all my other computers are powered off at home.

I'm at work so I don't have access to the Airport Utility Settings, but if I'm not mistaken there is an option to:

Globally advertise shared disk via Bonjour....what is this? I was hoping that this setting/option will help me accomplish what I am wanting.

I phone Apple directly and can't find anyone to assist....URGH!!!

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Um...No its not.

READ Step 7 :rolleyes:

The WAN port would be your internet connection, effectively sharing your disk over the internet as you desire.

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I'm interested in something like this too, but a friend told me it's network connection that's a problem. I'm not sure how your network is set up, but in order to find the hard drive you need to know the IP address of your Airport extreme. Unfortunately most basic broadband services don't provide static IP's. If the IP address changes while your away, you won't be able to connect remotely. :( Let me know if you find an answer though, I still want to hook something like this up!

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Unless you use something (free) like DynDNS :)

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Oh this rules!!! The same friend had the same solution, but all of them were pay services (some with really horrible contracts). Thanks jsw!! ...now my christmas list for 2007 is rapidly filling up!

8. 17MBPC2D thread starter macrumors regular

I had wanted to thank KINGJR for his personal assistance over the phone to assist me in this regards.

1) Enabling share disk over WAN....
    2) from another Apple computer at another remote location, you can access HD by typing...afp://ip address

But I'm the only one in the family whom owns a apple, rest are PC/Windows users. Took me awhile to figure out why PC /Windows can't connect to HD/NAS remotely using \\ip address\drive drive name alike as another Apple can:

Port 139 - Windows File Sharing port is closed/stealthed inside the AEX and Apple engineers have yet to respond back to me with a solution. It seems I can cannot manually open that port (139) for windows file sharing.

I checked with Earthlink and Brighthouse Cable comany and they don't close any ports from their end and my PC's with does not have any firewall programs.

/frustrated