Yet another 15" Powerbook rumour

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by TheMightyG, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. TheMightyG macrumors regular

    Nov 6, 2002
    For what its worth:

    It seems like most of their "predictions" are of the "duh" variety.:confused:

    There is no release date mentioned in this article, but the author seems to imply that the release is coming sooner than perhaps expected.

    Any of the Macrumors veterans know how reliable this site is?
  2. macktheknife macrumors 6502a


    Jan 24, 2002
    Well, whatever happens, the only thing I will have to think about is whether I should buy the updated 15-inch TiBooks at the current price (assuming the rumors are true) or buy the current 15-inch batch at a slightly lower price.

    Anyone have any thoughts on this? :confused:
  3. TheMightyG thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 6, 2002
    Well...personally I'm going to wait for the Albook only because that's going to mean a cheaper Tibook.

    Don't need Airport Xtreme, Bluetooth or FW 800. But I will take a 200-300 dollar price drop that accompanies a new revision.

    Granted, the new aluminum body will be nice (I've seen the 12"....impressive) but I don't have many issues with the painted Titanium. At least not 200-300 reasons....

  4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000


    Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    Price drops are nice....but to $1999 for the combo model? That's cheap!

    It is also impossible because the 12" is only $1799, and the Superdrive model is the same price-$1999!

    Benifits of 12"

    Benifits of 15"
    L3 Cache
    Bigger Screen
    Backlit keyboard?

    Both for 2 grand.

    So what would you rather have?

    It would be nice but

    Dream on.... :(
  5. macktheknife macrumors 6502a


    Jan 24, 2002
    Yeah, I guess the question is what type of new design features the new 15-inch models will have. Besides the new aluminium casing, Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, a slightly bigger screen, and perhaps a backlit keyboard, what other features will make one pay $200 - $300 more?

    Personally, I will probably go with the new models. I don't need Airport Extreme or Bluetooth, etc., but I might need them in the future. I plan to keep this laptop (I mean it this time!) for awhile until the second revision of the 970 laptops come out (sometime in late 2004 if the rumors are correct).
  6. TheMightyG thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 6, 2002
    HA! Hope you're better at keeping your promises than I am :D

    I'm now actively lusting after the 1Ghz. If I get it, it'll be my third Powerbook since 2000 (first a used Pismo 400, now a 667Mhz).

    Unfortunately I don't expect my techno envy to end anytime soon.....
    Damn I'm weak (and also poor as a result of it):D
  7. Wano macrumors 6502

    Oct 23, 2002
    It would be nice if they put a 1.25ghz processor in it as well as dropping the price of all models, so that the 17" would be at $2999. Looking at apple's patterns, i think there will be a price drop when they release their next processor upgrade in powerbooks.
  8. arn macrumors god


    Staff Member

    Apr 9, 2001
    that's an odd report... LowEndMac generally posts made-up "humor"-like rumors... but usually nothing serious.

    This one they are posting a little more seriously.. which completely defeats their whole anti-rumor site stance. :)

  9. CrackedButter macrumors 68040


    Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    I've been looking at the prices and it seems "umpossible", the prices are in line now as they are, i doubt they will drop them that much. There would be a huge price gap from the 15" to the 17" models.

    Thats isn't normal is it?
  10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    It's all just a SWAG. ;)

    Expect the new PowerBook 15 to be a smaller version of the PowerBook 17, this inlcudes feature parity.

    And I wouldn't hold my breath awaiting a price decrease with the new machines.

Share This Page