yet another airport question... w/ linksys wag54g router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fatties, Jul 11, 2006.

1. fatties macrumors regular

I don't know whats wrong with my set up! i haven't changed anything and I have been able to get online wirelessly with my router (wep password protected). and suddenly it refuses to go on it. i've taken advice of other members here and upgraded to 10.4.7 (why are firefox ad messenger so slow? at least 10 bounces when opening?) but it has not improved the situation.

I can:

get online with a wire through the router- so i guess its not fried+ my account works
    get online wirelessly onto my neighbour's unprotected account - which is SO wrong. but i guess this means that airport works.

whats the next step? Is it something to do with the password protection? or can just the wireless portion of the thing is fried. i will boot up the ol pc and see if it likes the wireless over there.

Thank you so much for saving my sanity once again!

(Please do not comment on the ethical issues surrounding using someone elses account, I know its wrong, but apparently dear mb here doesn't think theres anything wrong with it... and at least we know what works and doesn't eh?)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Can other machines connect to your wireless network? Have you tried resetting your access point? :)

3. fatties thread starter macrumors regular

on the pc it has registered the wifi signal but can't get on it for some reason... it comes up with the connecting box for about 1 minute and then gives up and goes onto another network.

so...

apparently it is there, but no one can get on it.

turning it on and off you mean?

edit: oh wow! suddenly it works. i did it 3 times yesterday and it didn't help. must be your lucky words mad_jew! thanks!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know much about Linksys but there should be a button on the router that you can press to restore your settings back to their defaults. It'll mean you'll have to put all your customised settings back in though. Instructions should be in the manual. Sorry for not being more helpful. :eek:

Nevermind, it's working now. :D

5. jtown macrumors 6502

Someone else might be using the same channel nearby. That can cause all sorts of annoying problems.