Yet another black Vs white thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VMAn, Nov 30, 2006.

1. VMAn macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2006
    Sorry to start a thread on this topic - I have searched the forum for a fair while before posting it to get some info I was after! But anyway:

I'm going to make the move onto Mac, and am going for a Macbook. I know that there was issues with the white Macbook staining from the oils secreted by users' skins - is this still an issue with the C2D machines?

From what I've read - the Blackbooks look nicer, but not for very long (they show a lot more marks). The whites show scratches more prominently - is this correct?

I was just hoping to get a few thoughts and experiences from actual users before I buy as this a lot of cash and I wanna get it right!

Thanks in advance everyone.
  2. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    having the C2D processor wouldn't make the computer less susceptible to getting stained with a person's natural body oils.

i have seen black MacBooks from the first few weeks of their release that are in great condition.

i have also seen white MacBooks that are in good condition, but the black ones always look better.
  3. roland.g macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    I think he meant that it was a problem earlier on, and did Apple do anything to resolve the problem late in the CD production or for the C2D release, as they did with the whining issues and random shutdown.

I however am sorry that I don't have the answer.
  4. Boxer macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2006
    Overland Park Kansas
    Black in the Macbook definatly. I wish they would put out a black MBP or a Titanium/Dark Silver/Grey.
  5. interlaced macrumors 6502a

Nov 16, 2005
    i really did not like the blackbooks when they first came out. now i think they look pretty cool and am thinking about getting one for myself. lol.
  6. KipCoon macrumors regular

Aug 23, 2000
    Is $200 worth a color?

theres some hard cases that actually clip onto the shell comign out in different colors for about $40 that look beautiful! Especially on the new MBP..

But I went through the same debate and went white, for one thing, I can vinyl that sucker any color I want and change it on a whim. But also, the matte finish can be removed on the black, and again, $200 will get you a lot of things more useful...

iPod, almost the price of a Wii, a camera, software, etc etc...
  7. emotion macrumors 68040

Mar 29, 2004
    Manchester, UK

Spec up a 120GB white macbook. The difference is now a lot smaller than if you did the same with the Rev A machines.

I just got a black macbook. It looks amazing and doesn't get marked as easily as I was led to believe.
  8. KipCoon macrumors regular

Aug 23, 2000
    There you go :)

Actually, forgot to mention, bump that ram to 2 gigs, and fork out a little more to bump the HD, instead of that color. It will run better, and still look just as good, if you ask me.
  9. emotion macrumors 68040

Mar 29, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    I deliberately bought a stock machine so I could easily swap the machine if anything went wrong. I also wanted super quick delivery (took 5 days!).

After all the stories I'd heard I didn't want to take any chances. Wth the C2D Rev B machines this may not be necessary, I don't know.

edit: there's also 7200rpm 200GB drives on the way next year from hitachi.
  10. 66217 Guest

Jan 30, 2006
    Simple Answer

Buy the one you like the most. Both colors haver their pros and cons, the black would show finger-prints more easily, and the white would get scratches (very tiny, almost invisible under normal light) very quickly.

So you are the only one who knows the answer. Remeber that probably you would have this notebook for a long time, so buy the onle you like the most. Neither the black nor the white have major problems that would make one color the best.

11. animenick65 macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2006
    I like the black too, but the white isn't bad either. I have the option of purchasing a floor model black macbook for $899 at a local apple store. Is that a good idea?
  12. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    If you don't get a black MacBook, once you see one in person, you will wish you had. They are amazing. I mean, it's worth it to not have to worry about discoloration, scratches on the lid and it looks a lot more casual in public.
  13. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Jan 26, 2006
    I thought Apple finally changed the white plastic formulation months before the c2ds so staining/oil reaction no longer an issue. I've posted/asked before about using 303 Protectant (a NASA originated UV protectant popular in marine industry. Very good stuff which protects any materials affected by UV light. Google it). I'm a fan, not affiliated. Months ago I called the company to see if it was being used on lappies. The person I spoke to said had been using for years on his. Haven't heard of others using it. If anyone has access to apple plastic, please try it and post. Not sure how it would be on blackbooks since probably would raise gloss. Not oily. Not sure if would increase slickness or not. Without question, it would protect from oils, etc..
  14. ziwi macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Right back where I started...
    If no budget - buy your preference, but the white does give you more for the buck obviously. Personally, I would get it based on spec and not color and use the $ difference to beef up the specs even more.