Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
OK, this may go on for a while so hang on in there with me, thanks.

In my sig are my two computers, PowerBook and PowerMac.

A few months ago a little bugger decided that it would be a good idea to throw my laptop bag across the train which now means that it is almost impossible to charge (it can be done but it requires military precision). Anyway my kind insurance company are going to replace the laptop with a macbook (around £850ish).

Now that would be great but I do like the odd game and I want to future proof my computer so here is what I was think until today; sell the macbook (£850) plus the PowerMac (£650ish) which would leave me with around £1500. Now with that I am not far off a MacBook Pro (15.4 2.16GHz) to use as a main computer replacing both the PowerBook and PowerMac. I have a 20" dell monitor which I can dual screen with the MacBook Pro but their spec was not increased today as I would have hoped so I can't really see how the extra £650 is worth it at the moment.

I suppose my concern is how would the MacBook compare with the POwerMac and would it run dual display OK? If it is a very viable replacment then I will keep it and ditch the PowerMAc whilst it still has some value and maybe look out for the Mac Pro.

As you can probably tell I really dont know what I am after so any advice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Besides the notebook drives being slower than desktop drives, the MacBook's are powerhouses to your G4. The ATi X1600's that drive the MBP's will do just fine running dual displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.