Yet Another DS Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by thegreatluke, Jun 15, 2006.

1. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Okay, so I got my DS Lite on Sunday.

For it, I have both New Super Mario Bros. and Tetris DS.

Among the list of things I'm looking at to buy, there's (in no particular order)
    • Animal Crossing: Wild World
    • Wario Ware! Touched
    • Brain Age
    • Tamagotchi Connection DS
    • Advance Wars: Dual Strike
    • Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
    • Nintendogs (one of them)

(My brother has Super Mario 64 DS, Mario Kart DS and Meteos, so I'm not getting those.)

I like more quirky, fun games rather than violent, shoot-em-up games or racing games.

Any suggestions?

Also, do you guys think I'll need to get a screen protector thing for my DS or do you guys think it'll hold up to all my tapping and not scratch?

LAST: In the same thought, do I need a carrying case for it or will the DS lite be okay in my pocket and not be scratched up?

Thanks!

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You might actually want to buy your own copy of Mario Kart DS, because you won't be able to play his copy online in your DS (it locks itself to the DS you first played online with, you can use it with another DS but it'll give you a new Friend Code and wipe his score and he'll hate you).

All the games you list are good. Mario & Luigi and WarioWare are especially quirky. You've got most of the good stuff on there (Metroid Prime Hunters is good, but may not be your type of game).

Put Zelda: PH, StarFox Command, Mario vs DK: MotM, Kirby, and Star Trek: Tactical Assault on your wishlist.

3. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

That Brain game is the best! I bought it today and I love it

4. thegreatluke thread starter macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Why, thank you. :)
    I will go do that.
    Zelda, Mario and Kirby seem really cool... I didn't even know there was going to be a Mario vs DK game for the DS. The GBA version was amazing. Star Trek isn't a show I'm a fan of, but the game looks interesting.

Yes, yes it is. I was annoyed when Circuit City and Best Buy started giving away free Brain Ages with DS lites... I already had $50 down on a preorder at Gamestop.

5. x86 macrumors regular

x86

If you enjoy reading I would recommend Phoenix Wright.

6. hellodon macrumors 6502

is brain age really that fun? i've heard good things....what do you actually do?

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Sorry to hijack a bit...

I've been reading some reviews of DS games online and I'm still a little confused.

There is a lot of mention of playing games online-- presumably so that you can compete against other people, correct? But is internet connection required to play in single player modes? (In particular, I'm thinking of Animal Crossing...)

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^No....only if you want to play with other people around the world n stuffs....dont worry about it..but you should know the fun factor of playing online vs. single player.

Bless

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Thanks for the response. I um, I really suck at games, so I'd like to see if I can even get the hang of a game myself before pitting myself against crazy skilled gamers :p

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Yea I did the same because I don't think i'm that skilled but online play is fun on handhelds....Like when i got my PSP and Socom...i never played the single player...its just too much fun wasting others online:eek:

But since I got my DS lite...i'm taking my time with Metroid Prime: hunters because i know these fellas will murder me.

Bless

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

np; Mario vs DK 2 was announced at E3 last month, that's probably why you haven't heard of it.

I can't believe I forgot to list Yoshi's Island 2 for DS! :D

As for Star Trek...Star Trek is an interesting proposition when it comes to gaming. There is no in-between. Virtually all Star Trek games either rock (the Starfleet Command series, and Elite Force, for example), or suck incredibly.

Starfleet Command is one of my favorite series of all time; I think I've spent more time playing that series than anything other game (Metroid and Zelda included). The first game was developed by Quicksilver, then Taldren developed the second game, the expanded version, and the third game...but then Activision got a hold of the license for Star Trek games, and got in a dispute with Taldren over SFC3 and basicly barred Taldren from making another Star Trek game, forcing the company out of business (sad; was a great company, you could casually talk to the CEO on the forums, and they went out of their way to help modders).

Bethesda now has the Star Trek license and went back to Quicksilver and the original team to make Tactical Assault, which is designed specificly as a successor to Starfleet Command. I am saddened that it does not have the online MMO-like dynaverse mode (online play/dynaverse + modding kept me at that game for years), but it's supposed to be a 20-30 hour game. On the DS. So I'm happy. I played it at E3, and it's just like the original- spectacular.

It's very tactical and has a lot of RPG-like elements (like levelling up crew members).

Sadly, I have yet to play the full version of Brain Age. :(

12. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

I think the list you got right there looks pretty good by itself, thegreatluke. I'm with you; I like the quirky, fun, signature Nintendo games better.

13. misterspo macrumors newbie

Good DS games

Wario ware Touched is fun, but Feel the Magic XX/XY is very similar and MUCH better done.

It's a compilation of interesting / weird games you play with the stylus, by blowing on the micophone, or doing any number of weird things.

I love it. it's bizarre and fun. you should be able to find it used for 10-15 bucks.

Brain Age takes up a surprising amount of my time. I thought I'd play it and lose interest (it was free when I got the DS lite) but it's great. and the best portable sudoku yet.

I enjoyed Super Princess Peach quite a bit too, as well as Mario and Luigi, partners in time.

so my recommendations:
    Brain Age
    Feel the Magic
    Mario & luigi partners in time
    Super Princess Peach
    and one last one for good measure:
    Kirby Canvas Curse

14. thegreatluke thread starter macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Okay, thanks!

I never thought I'd be getting this many games, but, I guess I will.

:D

oh well.

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Is that the one where you are the Princess and you have to rescue Mario & co. ? Is that easier to play than Mario Bros? I got Mario Bros, still unopened because I'd rather get Tetris (it was out of stock at that place), but I might consider the Princess game if it's easier than the average Mario... :eek:

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

New Super Mario Bros is on par with, oh, Mario 3 in terms of difficulty. The bosses are a peice of cake with the fire flower and if you have a mega mushroom you can step on them and win (literally. one hit to kill a boss). But some of the platforming sessions can get intense. I called Miyamoto evil at one point where I kept dying.

It starts out easy though and gets progressively harder. Stick with it. You'll slowly become a better gamer as you progress and tough it out :)