Yet another education purchase question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by richpjr, May 9, 2006.

1. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

My daughter will be graduating from high school soon and I was going to pick her up either an iMac or one of the new laptops as a gift. She will be going to college next year but I wanted the computer to give to her on her graduation. Does she have to be in college to qualify for the discount? I'll be purchasing it when she is still in high school. I believe someone had mentioned to me before that they don't really check. Anyone know how strict they are about it?

2. debrey macrumors member

If you do it online, they ask what institution you belong to. I'm fairly sure you could probably just enter the name of the institution she'll be attending.

www.apple.com/education/store

-- David

3. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68020

richpjr

I saw that - do you have to provide proof when you actually purchase? I know some academic software stores make you send in a copy of your student ID to purchase anything.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Sometimes Apple checks, sometimes they don't.

If you go into a retail Apple Store, they will require some form of ID/proof (but keep in mind, you can only purchase hardware there, software purchases can only be done online).

That said, you could use her acceptance letter as proof that she is going to a given college.

5. Perfusion macrumors newbie

My wife's a Law Student.... I bought my iMac using the educational store at the Apple website. No checks... In-store, yes - they wanted to see an ID when she got her iPod Nano. A computer online that costs 10x more, though? Nope!

6. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Not something you asked. But given a choice I`d go for the laptop(ie MB) than an iMac. Since she`ll be in college soon. She`d be able to use it there as well.

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I bought my daughter a 12" iBook refurb and she has been delighted.

She's a seniour AP/Honors all the way so I got it for her to help her have that extra edge completing her work.

All the applications she plans on using are still PPC, so this worked out fine.

Unless your child is a heavy A/V user, I would either go for an iBook or wait for the new MacBooks.

The MacBooks should be out any time now, well before graduation I hope.

Laptops are the way to go around campus, but you may want to consider your child's klutz factor as well.

The iMac is by far the best bang for the buck as far as computer goes and it will be less likely to be damaged staying in the dorm.

I doing my share of freaking out about tuition! Arggghhh!

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

When you get to the Apple Education store, you'll select the college she's going to.

I know many of the kids in our area attend pre-admission weekends a whole year before they go to school. They have already received their IDs and email accounts. Has she done that?

It's rare that they check online purchases, though.

9. dirtleg macrumors member

My daughter is finishing her freshman year at Univ. of Missouri, she bought her iBook at the University Tech Store last summer at orientation weekend. The price was better than the Apple online price (with ed discount) and she got a whole lot of extras at no cost. Besides the nice laptop bag, she got the necessary software to access the Mizzou Net, MS Office, locking cable and some other useful items. Check with the school and see what they offer before buying at Apple online or Apple Store.
    She LOVES her iBook. Many of her sorority sisters that are using windoze are very impressed with how easy it is to do things on the Mac.