(yet another) Future iBook buyer with questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Feio, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Feio macrumors newbie

I am planning on ordering a 12 incher tonight. I know there are a lot of threads concerning the new iBook out there already, but none of them really answer my own questions, so ... well, here we go.

1. I plan on using the student union promo to buy a 20gig iPod as well. Will I definitely need to upgrade the HD space? Is there any way to use the iPod as a sort of portable music drive, instead of having to sync automatically to the computer, which will mean that up to 20g will be used to store my music... ? I don't need to keep all my music in two places, if I can just plug my iPod and play music off of it. If that isn't possible, how much space is enough? I don't much (any) video work, so I don't need masses of space, but I'm a music student, and do have masses of music.

2. It seems obvious to me that ordering RAM from Apple is so expensive, it's silly. People round here have recommended Crucial, but I'm from Canada. Of course I know Crucial will ship here, but can anybody recommend some cheap Canadian RAM dealers, so I can save on shipping + taxes?

3. I've been thinking of getting a foofbag (www.foofbag.com) as a laptop sleeve. Does anybody have any experiences with these? Or, alternatively, does anybody know of a similar sleeve manufacturer that makes wacky/interesting-looking sleeves? (I'm not keen on buying something plain and black.)

4. Can somebody explain to me exactly what screen spanning is, and what the hack does? To my understanding, it allows you to connect an external monitor and instead of it mirroring the iBook screen at its highest resolution, you can use it to display 'another desktop' at a much higher resolution. How safe is this hack? Also, can it be used to play movies/games on the bigger screen, or would the fact that the VRAM is sliced in half compromise performance significantly?

I've been following these forums since March, waiting for the iBook update. I'm so excited that it's finally here, and before Paris. (I was getting a little worried.) Also, I apologize for bogging up the forum with another iBook thread, but I want to make sure I don't have any unanswered questions before I buy. I'm really strapped for cash, and the 12" is all I can really afford, so I want to make sure it's really what I need. Thanks so much guys!

2. Cooper macrumors newbie

http://www.ordersite.com/canadaram/

3. everybodylikepi macrumors member

everybodylikepi

It is possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you have masses of music, then you'd be at risk to lose all your music if the iPod gets stolen, broken, etc. It's a risk I wouldn't be willing to take. Take the HD upgrade. I can't tell you which one to get because I don't know how much music and other stuff you'll need to be storing. Hope this helped.

4. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I figure if you are willing to spend all this money on an iBook you might as well spend another 45-75 or whatever bucks to get the HD upgrade. Why settle for a cheaper version? Just work it off later. It will be more convenient just to get the HD upgrade.

5. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

if you have the money then go for the HD upgrade. just because you dont need it today doesnt mean you wont want more HD space tomorrow. what if apple comes out with a video iPod and starts selling movies or TV episodes on iTMS (or some similar online store) and then you start to need gobs and gobs of HD space. or what if you have a digital camera and when you start using iPhoto you go picture crazy and fill up gigs of space with high resolution pics? either way its cheaper to buy the upgrade now rather than waiting a couple years down the road and trying to get a larger HD. trust me, i have a 40GB hd in my PB right now and really want more space. i never thought i would need 40GB . . . i had a 10GB iPod with less than 10 GB of music at the time and thought i would never do movies. now i have a digital camer that does small movie clips and my music collection has nearly doubled to 15GB and all the programs I have downloaded are starting to take up a lot of space. so yeah, the HD is worth it!!

6. Hattig macrumors 65816

I plumped for the 40GB iBook 12" which I received 3 hours ago. It is *sooo* nice. Even comes with a left wrist warmer :p

I could have upgraded, but my plan is to have a media server at home with all my music and stuff on it. I also didn't want to upgrade to a larger 4200RPM drive, I'd rather upgrade when I need to, and get whatever is the largest fastest hard drive then.