yet another guitar thread - vintage guitars

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jul 20, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

any vintage guitar collectors or players here?

what is the oldest guitar you have?

i had a 1941 Vega archtop acoustic...frets were in terrible shape so i got a good deal on it

1947 martin 00-17 refin...all mahogany...the spruce top 00-18s are much more collectable
    1959 silvertone...standard, not lipstick pickups...but lipstick pickups are the ones i want
    1965 fender telecaster refin, so it was cheap
    1965 gibson lg0 acoustic...still a good buy if you can find one
    1965 melody maker...sg style with original pickups...many put humbuckers in them later...yuck
    1968 fender telecaster refin and refret, again not 100 percent original so it was cheap

those round out all the instruments i have collected, made before 1970...most perfectly original guitars before that time made in the usa are too expensive for most musicians, but any minor change done to it can greatly reduce the value and make it accessible for most musicians:D

2. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

nice, congrats for the Melody Maker... :) :) :)

I always wanted to buy a '70s Fender Mustang Bass, but instead went for a cheapo discontinued Squier Musicmaster and added a replacement pick up... works fine for me...

vSpacken

3. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

the oldest bass I had was a mid-'80s Roland R-77 Midi-bass (anyone remember those?). I got one that was still brand new and unused since it was sitting in a warehouse for almost two decades... I liked the wiered shape and the "odd-factor" (that damn thing looked like a space tool). I sold it, because I rarely used it... I did use it during a couple of gigs and always got uuhs and aahs... fun!

vSpacken

Attached Files:

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i remember those...some roland guitar synths had the guitar portion made by ibanez guitars on contract

of the biggest three manufacturers today, fender/squire, gibson/epiphone, and ibanez...many of the low end and middle end models of the big three are made by samick guitars on contract...cort used to make them and before that fernandez

also gibson and rickenbacker made instruments for others at one time but got too expensive like ibanez

the far east companies in korea and taiwan that make the affordable instruments have computerized factories and that is the telltale sign of how they are manufactured...american guitars are largely handmade

martin broke tradition and made some american made inexpensive computerized guitars and to the shock of many, they were just as good as the handmade ones...and even more consistent

many craftsmen are scared to death with computers since they are so darn powerful and can even help build and design guitars and now do a great job...those darn computers...computers should be banned and tossed into the sea...oops, i forgot...i am on a computer related website:p

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Known generically as "The Daleks Handbag", at least over here.

I played in a band with the guitar version of it, the bar was supposed to kill harmonics in the neck that caused the synth to mis-track, sadly it made it sound really crap:D

I had a 62 Precision for a while, and a Jazz of dubious provedence, plus a couple of early Wals, but I went very modern and sold them all, had a Stienberger for a while, then went to Warwick and now use a 1987 Thumb 5-string.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Thought I'd pose this question in a current guitar thread...

I'm looking to pick up an acoustic to start learning to play guitar. I don't need anything super high quality since I'm just learning, something in the $100-200 range but a little more is OK if it makes a big difference.

So, what are your suggestions on brands, features, stores, etc?

TIA :)

7. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

1964 fender strat, sunburst paint job...almost perfect condition, all orig. parts and paint job...I believe was made post-cbs buyout, but, with all pre-cbs parts.

I think ive posted pics before, but i can take some new ones if you want

8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

your best bet, even at that lower price, is to go for a well known brand

you may find one by ibanez or by epiphone which is made by gibson

a little higher up in price can get you an entry level ovation celebrity which is a great guitar, but then we are talking more like 299 street price, usd

in that slightly higher range you can also get a fairly nice dean acoustic or one by fender

good luck in your pursuit of an acoustic...it's a lot of fun

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Thanks. I really need to get to a store and get the feel for different brands/style. If it doesn't feel right, or sound good to my ear then it's sort of a moot point if it's a "good guitar" or not.

I've heard OK things about Yamaha from some folks. What do you guys think of them?

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I've recorded a couple of really nice Yammy's this year, both were acoustics with lower cutaways and pre-amps.

Yamaha tend to be bright and a bit aggressive in their cheaper instruments, it depends what kind of sound you want really, but they are fine.

The epiphone guitars jefhatfield mentioned are good, my wife has an old one that still rocks:D

Check out Washburn and tanglewood as well.

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i totally forgot about yamaha...dollar for dollar under three hundred, one can make a strong case for saying they are the best out there...same case can also be made for takamine/jasmine...certainly takamine is the most sponsored and endorsed acoustic out there in the music world

alvarez is a nice instrument but a little more expensive

taylor and gibson are even nicer but even more expensive

a great acoustic such as martin though, does not need to be endorsed because their long history of great guitars speaks for itself...i used to extensively use martin's budget line, called sigma, and they were quite nice since they got to use the martin specs, down to the millimeter, because they were a division of martin

so basically you have tons and tons of choices out there in that 200 to 300 dollar range

it's very much like buying a pc or digital camera...the value and specs will be almost identical and you will have many comparable companies to choose from

13. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    rower,
    you might also look at the baby taylor guitars( not the smallest one but the next size up). also check out tacoma guitars..very reasonably priced, they sound great and they're handmade here in the states( guess where?).

i'd stay away from all the inexpensive martins.. they sound horrible. i'm not a fan of ovations also...they sound like plastic to me. the inexpensive yamaha's and takamine's are popular though they have too much " bite" for my taste....but lotsa people use 'em. i had a washburn for quite a while that sounded nice but the neck just never felt right to me.

what a good guitar sounds like is pretty subjective. looking around and shopping is half the fun.

also...most new guitars are a lot like cars....they depreciate a bunch soon as you take em home...which means the used market can be a great place to get a good deal once you know what you're looking for. and guitars are a high mark-up item at the music stores...just a FYI

p.s. siggraph 7/30..you coming?

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Ah, more great advice, thanks guys.

3rdpath, not attending but hosting and such. ;)