Yet another help with Linsys router.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by OnceUGoMac, Mar 19, 2004.

1. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

So, i moved into a building where they supply the internet through SBC Yahoo DSL. I have a Speedstream 5100 modem from SBC, a Linksys router, and my graphite BS. I can connect my iBook to the modem directly and get a connection. I can connect my iBook to the Linksys router and get a detection. However, when I try to connect to the internet, it fails. Now, I know it can work, because my roommate can connect with his Windows XP PC. I havn't even tried to hook up the BS as of yet. i'm currently stealing someone else's wrieless connection until I can sort this out. Any tips are appreciated.

BTW: G4 iBook 800Mhz, OS X.3.3

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Are you connecting over wired or wireless?

Few things to check.

No connection limit on router.
    No MAC (ethernet card) address filter applied.
    iBook is setup as DHCP over whatever connection type you are trying to use.

If wireless, check network name and confirm you are connecting to the right one.

Also if wireless, try wired first to confirm connection.

Good Luck

3. OnceUGoMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

It is a wired router. I have an Apple BS, but I have not yet tried to set it up due to it not even working wired. I don't understand the bit about a Mac filter, please explain? I am trying to set it up as a PPPoE, since that is what SBC wants.

To explain further, when I go to the Linksys address page it won't connect to the modem. it says that the connection failed.

4. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

you have the router setup for PPoE? Did you put your ENTIRE EMAIL ADDRESS as your id, not just the userid part? (ie, joe_yahoo@sbcglobal.net and not just joe_yahoo) There is a whole page on setting up routers with SBC Yahoo hidden within the bowels of help.sbcglobal.net

5. OnceUGoMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Affirmative, I put the entire username in. I'm hopinh that the building changes internet providers, because SBC sucks.

6. OnceUGoMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

MAC (in this case) not Mac. MAC (Media Access Control) addresses are basically a unique identifier for your network card. Linksys routers, I'm pretty sure, give you the ability to only allow certain clients to connect based on the MAC address. I just suggested that you make sure this feature is disabled, and no MAC filtering rules are keeping you from connecting.

Also, You should try connecting with the DSL modem DISconnected first to see if you mac gets an IP in the form of 192.168.1.X (assuming you haven't change the DHCP pattern). If so, its probably related to your PPPoE setup, which I know nothing about. Man I love cable internet.

8. dudeami macrumors regular

It sounds like you are actually connecting to the WAP wirelessly, is that correct? I think the Linksys should show the DCHP info that the linksys gets assigned if the PPPoE connection works. Verify that the linksys is getting an IP address, subnet and gateway assigned to its external interface. If this is happening and you are still not getting out to the internet with your Macintosh, verify that the Macintosh has, or is getting assigned via DHCP, an IP address on the same network as the WAP, with the same subnet mask, and is using the internal address of the WAP as its gateway (router). Also to access the internet by resolving FQDN, the Macintosh will need to have valid DNS servers to resolve these names to IP addresses.

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Your computer should be trying to hookup to router using DHCP, and the router should supply DHCP addresses to computers on your home 'net. Meanwhile, the router should be set to accept PPPoE from the cable modem.

Also, check to see if you need a cross over cable from the cable modem to the router.