Yet another iB vs PB decision.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by XMashedPotatoX, Apr 24, 2004.

1. XMashedPotatoX macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am getting rid of my 2.6mHz Celeron in favour of taking the plunge into a Mac enviroment.

I am currently deciding between the 12inch models of the iBook and the PowerBook. Here are my issues:

- I will REQUIRE Airport, so if I buy the iBook, I am definately upgrading it.

- The battery life is an issue

- The quality of the case is also an issue, I am known to be kinda wreckless at times. I saw the iBook design and personally it didn't seem very sturdy in comparison to my old PC laptop (blasphemy on this forum), but I was quite delighted by the PowerBook design (before the latest revisions).

- Other than that, this will most likely be a basic usage computer.

Any suggestions?

2. Scenicroadways macrumors regular

ibook vs. powerbook

Although the ibook seems less sturdy because it is not aluminum, it is actually more rugged than the powerbook. The powerbook can dent. The ibooks plastic material is of really high quality and it does scratch, although it can resist bumps and bangs and absorbs shock a little better. Also, the battery life is usually better on the ibook. The only thing that still makes me want a 12 inch powerbook is that it looks and feels so cool.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

For the basic user, the iBook is GREAT! I only bought the PowerBook because I wanted the widescreen 15 inch and I wanted to be able to keep up with video editing technology for a few years.

If the iBooks are still made the same way they were 2 generations ago, yes, they ARE durable. I accidentally dropped one of the school's iBooks from a height of about 4 feet and it came away unscathed, much to my relief!

4. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Go with the iBook. The case is made of the same hi-grade plastics used in bullet proof vests. Those things were designed to take a beating, plus you don't sound like you'll need alot of horsepower and the PowerBook 12" only offers a minimal boost for the price. AFAIK iBook battery life is slightly longer as well.

5. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

you might want to get the powerbook, by the time you upgrade the HD and add bluetooth and AE it's only an additonal $200 for which you get more video ram, DVI out, line out, a 33% processor boast, and 25% bus boast

6. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Yeah but if you aren't going to use those things, and you have no need to upgrade the HD, why bother? The only thing it sounds like he needs is AirPortExtreme.