Yet another iTunes on external HD question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gauchogolfer, May 20, 2006.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm sorry to start another thread like this one, but I didn't seem to really find the answer I was looking for in the (many) other ones that are around. So, here's my question: I'm trying to make space on my PB HD by moving the bulk of my 26GB iTunes library over to a LaCie 250GB FW external. I already have a backup copy of my music on the LaCie, but I'd like to make an actual second iTunes library over there that has ratings, playcounts, etc.

I found the shareware program Libra, and that seems like a pretty good option for switching between libraries depending on if I'm at home or on the road. Is there an obvious way to move over all of my ratings and such from my Powerbook (is it just a matter of copying the .xml file), or do I need to do something more sophisticated?

Ultimately I see myself synching automatically with the external drive with all of my music, and manually with my laptop to add the occasional podcast or iTunes purchase I might make while away.

Lastly, will I need to use a second authorization to play iTunes DRM music from my external drive?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There may be something on www.dougscripts.com/ if you're still interested.
    This sounds like an interesting problem, something I'm sure I'll take a look at when I get a Macbook later this summer, as it'll be useful.

The easiest solution would probably be to do an iPod style sync between the two libraries (though it'd need to go both ways) and switch the two library.xml files as needed.

3. buckuxc macrumors regular

Windows Hel(l)p

I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for as well, so I might as well post to this thread.

My iBook crapped out (again) and I'm stuck for at least the next week on a Dell. I downloaded the trial version of MacDrive 6 for now and my external HD is being read fine. However, when I change the iTunes settings to use the iTunes folder on the external, quit, and start it up again, none of my songs or playlists appear - it looks the same as it would if I hadn't changed a thing - just the default playlists and nothing in the library.

I check the Apple support document, followed exactly what it said to do...pretty simple. But it doesn't work. Why won't iTunes on Windows recognize my iTunes files on the external? Anyone?

sps

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Does Macdrive give the Mac drive a standard windows drive letter (ie F : or something) if not itunes probably can't access it, the only recommendation I can give is to format your external HD as a FAT32 disc, (make sure you split the LACIE 250 into two particians or you may get kernel panics.)

5. buckuxc macrumors regular

the letter E

I have an OWC 250GB drive, and yes it has a drive letter - E.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

buckuxc: You have one day left to reply to my Private Message or your account will be suspended.