Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Google all the way... Seems interesting! Im aleady exited with what they might come up next :eek:

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Hmm, looks interesting. Of course, I am always a bit wary of things that take credit of my work, but still, interesting. I do love Google!

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
SummerBreeze said:
Hmm, looks interesting. Of course, I am always a bit wary of things that take credit of my work, but still, interesting. I do love Google!

Are you saying that Google takes the copyright of things posted on here? Could you explain :)

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2004
intellectual property

aspro said:
Are you saying that Google takes the copyright of things posted on here? Could you explain :)

he's only talking about his invention of a new STD, klamidia, which he is currently in the process of patenting. the Patent Office has asked him for more time to review the application, since the mechanism described for transmitting klamidia seems very similar to an ancient mating ritual, which is coincidentally known to transmit chlamydia from one mammalian species to another. i believe he's worried about Google revealing the secret to this patent application, which was apparently posted on the USPTO blog. you know how tenacious those Googlebots are...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I have to say, this thing looks like crap. Not to mention the fact that it will very likely become a massive spam hole. Most inelegant application I've seen from Google in a long time.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
wordmunger said:
I have to say, this thing looks like crap. Not to mention the fact that it will very likely become a massive spam hole. Most inelegant application I've seen from Google in a long time.

Looks just like every other Google tool; ugly interfaces. it will become just as much a SPAM hole as any other Google tool has become. anyways ... it's still beta.

peace | neut

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
My goodness ... as a teacher, I must say that this looks like it's going to become plagiarism.google.com.

At least the kids will be easy to catch ... :rolleyes:

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
thedude110 said:
My goodness ... as a teacher, I must say that this looks like it's going to become plagiarism.google.com to me.

At least the kids will be easy to catch ... :rolleyes:

Is it not already? I would think this would be for the lame ...

peace | neut

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
It could get much fancier if kids use the tool to swap papers. Right now they don't swap essays (at least my students don't) over P2P/IM as much as you would expect. And many of the papers they pull up from Google are really obvious fakes. But this provides a ridiculously easy (and free) way to gain access to other papers posted by other 14 year olds. Cheat web sites are nothing new, but imagine the sheer volume of 14 year old papers that could be archived here ...

It's generally pretty easy to catch a high school plagiarist, and I don't think this will change that. But this will provide a temptation to the kid who hops onto to Google to do research ...

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
thedude110 said:
It could get much fancier if kids use the tool to swap papers. Right now they don't swap essays (at least my students don't) over P2P/IM as much as you would expect. And many of the papers they pull up from Google are really obvious fakes. But this provides a ridiculously easy (and free) way to gain access to other papers posted by other 14 year olds. Cheat web sites are nothing new, but imagine the sheer volume of 14 year old papers that could be archived here ...

It's generally pretty easy to catch a high school plagiarist, and I don't think this will change that. But this will provide a temptation to the kid who hops onto to Google to do research ...

So i assume you don't believe in evolution? Survival of the fittest? Lazy cheaters will lose ... good cheaters still have to work hard (still learning a skill none the less) and kids who do their own work should feel even better having overcome temptation ... if their teacher recognizes this as so.

Wouldn't this just make you a better teacher? Time to ask for a raise ... ;)

Kids have always cheated ... there are just a lot kids now with world-wide access. :) No one deals with the questions you are asking now until the problem gets out of hand. Teachers are way over due for a pay increase in the US; either that or school refeorm is well overdue.

peace | neut

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
neut said:
Looks just like every other Google tool; ugly interfaces. it will become just as much a SPAM hole as any other Google tool has become. anyways ... it's still beta.

peace | neut

Well, the difference is that this is supposed to be for publishing content, not sending e-mails. Why not just set up a blog at blogger or livejournal, or get a myspace account?

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
thedude110 said:

Ohhh... A napster of term papers. Imagine the possibilities.

Actually the real money would be in a term paper wiki.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
wordmunger said:
Well, the difference is that this is supposed to be for publishing content, not sending e-mails. Why not just set up a blog at blogger or livejournal, or get a myspace account?

Sure ... go ahead, but then upload it to Base and it's now searchable content readily availible through the world's most popular search engine. :)

peace | neut

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.