Yet another Olympus E-300 question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by slipper, Sep 2, 2005.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

So ive been taking some pictures in RAW format (.orf). I can only open the pictures with the software supplied with the camera. I cant open it in Photoshop CS or iPhoto 5.

EDIT: OK i figured out how to do it on Photoshop. Plug-in. But where the heck do i get a plug-in for iPhoto 5?

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Unless they have an update, you with the excellent e-300 and me with my Rebel XT (or 350d) are out of luck. You also might want to try Capture One LE.

3. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

LOL i used to work at the Apple store and my manager at the time said "any RAW format"........... :eek:

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

He/she probably thought that they were all the same...that's why he/she was the manager.

Strange, I never even bothered with the RAW format, except to experiment. I use TIFF for commercial work and JPEG for anything else.

5. papersushi macrumors regular

There is no such an industrial standard for RAW format yet, every company has their own interpretation of RAW in their dSLR cameras. You have to use the software they supplied with the camera to open the RAW files.

PhotoShop's RAW plug-in is compatible with many major camera companies' RAW format because of the high demand of using RAW in Photoshop. iPhoto is considered consumer product, its unlikely Apple will work with every single company to make iPhoto compatible with their RAW formats, it only compatible with few.

The advantages of using RAW is not on the resolution, its the ability to tweak the image a lot more than fixed TIFF or JPEG (of course JPEG is also loss format because of its compression). A camera raw image file contains the unprocessed data from the image sensor of a digital camera.

Just a side note, iPhoto doesn't really support RAW image by definition, you can't work with RAW directly, what it does is convert compatible RAW images to JPEG in iPhoto.