yet another PB/iBook dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by c23roo, May 30, 2004.

1. c23roo macrumors regular

Almost decided, just want to hear your thoughts...

Here's what I plan to do with it:
    Wireless internet access
    Garageband
    iMovie, lots of video editing

From what I can gather, both PB and iBook have their strengths. What do you all think? I'm going with the 12 inch model of either.

Thx

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Since you're doing lots of video editing, PowerBook is the way to go.

Here are some suggestions on how to configure you PB.

1. Don't buy RAM from Apple, they will overcharge you. Buy it from www.crucial.com and install it yourself - it's very easy. You're going to want at least a 512MB stick to add up to 768MB of RAM, but if you have the money, go for the 1Gb stick.

2. You might want to consider getting a Superdrive, or you could get an external 8x burner. The PB's Superdrive burns at 4x, so there is a difference.

3. GET FINAL CUT EXPRESS OR PRO. If you plan on doing lots of video editing, iMovie will not meet your needs. Don't get me wrong, iMovie is a great beginner and free editing software, but it won't take you much further than simple cuts, transitions and background music. I would personally recommend going with FCE over FCP, because FCE does about 80% of what FCP does and that other 20% is stuff you'll most likely never use. FCE is a great piece of software for the price - even $300.

PB it is :) .

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY