yet another pc folding question

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by jeff.macaddict, Nov 8, 2004.

1. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

im folding on a dualie g4, and then just got this amd athlong 64 3400+ 1mb L2 cache and 9800 pro with 256 etc. (i really like counterstrike, ok? lol)

I installed the console version of folding on it, and when i go into the task manager, it says i have two cores running. One is run by the "SYSTEM", and one by the "Administrator".

Now, i thnk I'm supposed to just have one core running, anyone know which one shouldnt be running and how to get it to stop starting by itself? Becuase they each take half the available CPU, which cuts my folding by.....alot.

Thanks guys!

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Tell us some more about the way you did the console install - did you elect to make it run as a service? If so, this would explain why you have one instance running as System. If it runs as a service, you don't need to launch in when the machine restarts from startup items, for instance.

3. jeff.macaddict thread starter macrumors regular

I used to have the GUI version installed on windows, but a freind said I should use the text console, he installed the text console while I was doing something becuase I didnt have the time, and didnt know at all how to use windows. I think if I just delete all the folding stuff, then install just the text client, it'll work out. I know its not the best way, but I dont know how to use windows. doesnt bother me either :cool:

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah, sounds like you've got the GUI and console versions both running. Just un-install the GUI one and you should be set.