Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skp574

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
I know there's been a few questions asked about printers.

I am looking to get a colour laser printer that can handle A3. I allows seem to sway towards HP as I've never had any problems with them, but would consider another manufacturer.

Fast printing would be nice, something around 20ppm both colour & B&W. Multiple input tray options are also a plus. I don't want to reload different paper if doing different runs.

I have been looking at the HP 5550 range, which seems to do the job. Anybody had an experience of these? It will need to work with PC and Macs and be network ready (with built-in Ethernet print server).

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Been away from laser printers for awhile, but many people that use them seem to think that HP is among the better brands.

Question is more of what type of use do you see using the printer for. Give us more details and and you might find some more detailed answers.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
HP is a good way to go. But . . .

A couple of years ago I would have recommended HP without hesitation -- but over the last couple of years I have seen a marked decline in overall quality. I'm not talking about print quality -- but quality of construction. In fact, this applies to a number of printer manufacturers.

I prefer Epson printers for photography, brochures and printing on cds -- but HP for high volume laser and ink jet daily printing.

Just my opinion -- I'm sure others would disagree.

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
numediaman said:
HP is a good way to go. But . . .

A couple of years ago I would have recommended HP without hesitation -- but over the last couple of years I have seen a marked decline in overall quality. I'm not talking about print quality -- but quality of construction. In fact, this applies to a number of printer manufacturers.

I prefer Epson printers for photography, brochures and printing on cds -- but HP for high volume laser and ink jet daily printing.

Just my opinion -- I'm sure others would disagree.

I will jump in and second this, HP was great, not staying competitive lately especially in the Laser printer market. At the top I recommend Xerox, however they are expensive for a good one. For a good A3 you have to know what exactly you want it for and then study the market, also they are much more expensive than A4. Recently we also have been thinking about getting the Kyocera-Mita 8026 I believe it is, because it has the fewest moving parts and has the lowest running cost of any of the Lasers. The 8026 would replace a Oki 5400 A4 type that uses ink like mad, running cost is expensive on it, so someone will use the 5400 in their office for personal use only (it is a good personal usevLaser). Also, the 8026 is fairly cheap for a A3 color Laser, be warned though, we have not decided to buy this yet so it's all on paper. Good Luck, Laser Printers are a difficult pick. Someone else on these boards I am sure has experience with Lasers, hope you get more input.

Brian

Brian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.