yet another resume thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Nov 29, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i was a former hr person (studied mgt/labor-employment law/personnel) and i used to look at a lot of resumes...and in the past over the years i have looked at people's resumes and given out tips here

feel free to post on this thread (change real phone # and address, of course) or pm me

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I'm a Director of Sales and Marketing for my company and I read a lot of resumes. FWIW, here are my pet peeves AKA what will have your resume end up in the round file. (in no particular order)

Typos and misspellings- Often accompanied by a canned cover letter (another peeve) that states the applicant "pays attention to detail".

Vague dates especially those with only years. Resumes should have the month and year of employment at former jobs. Have a gap in your resume, explain it. Long periods of unemployment will not exclude you from consideration.

An unprofessional email address. Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to reply to ladysman33099@yahoo.com or sexygirl3@hotmail.com. Set up an address that is your name and avoid the free ones if you can.

Lack of specificity. Do yourself a favor, provide examples of what you did, not increased profitability by x%. How did you do that?

Resumes from those who have obviously fax or email blasted to every ad in the damn Sunday paper.

Follow directions in the ad. If I ask for salary history, provide it. If I ask you to visit my company's web site before applying, do so. When I call you and ask what prompted you to apply, have an intelligent answer. Looking for new opportunities is not good enough. Makes me think you'll do the same to me.

Tell me when you are available to start. Monday is not acceptable if you are currently working. I'll just think you'll do the same to me and quit with no notice. I'll wait for the right candidate to start.

Ask intelligent questions. If the first questions out of your mouth are what are the hours or salary or benefits, chances of me hiring you are nil.

Sorry to be so negative but hiring and training are expensive. Remember that when you apply and interview.

I have to run to work now, I'll try and post what I like to see later.

Final thought, I interviewed an excellent candidate for an Internet Marketing position last week and she asked me one of the best questions I have ever been asked, "Can I spend a few hours in the office to see how the group works and what the atmosphere is like?" I hope she accepts my offer.

3. juicedus macrumors member

Considering most companies want an electronic version of your resume, whch one is preferred? PDF or Word? I have both kidns but I usually like to give out the PDF one cuz it looks better and its easier to update, the Word one is such a pain to add to without messing up the look.

juice

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Although I'm not job hunting at this time, this comment caught my eye. If Gmail turns out to be more than just a fad and has some staying power in years to come, there's an awfully good chance that I'll make my gmail.com address my "primary" e-mail address. What is it about free e-mail providers that is a turn-off?

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think its because setting up an email account at the free ones tends to leave you with few options for an address, thus causing a rather unprofesional email address, also i guess i could see how some people would view this as cheap and not caring because it is a free email. i have three gmail accounts, the one is my name and year of birth added on because i couldnt get away with just my name, but its better than being something off the wall and weird

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Sure, this part I agreed with; I wouldn't take someone with an e-mail name like "ladysman33099" seriously either. But if it were an otherwise legitimate address (i.e. "firstname.lastname@gmail.com" or "firstname.lastname@yahoo.com") I wonder if it would be as objectionable.

That's the impression I got from what rdowns said, and what prompted my question. One of the (non-free) ISPs I was signed up with several years back went belly-up and so I lost my e-mail address with them, whereas a Gmail.com or Yahoo.com address (assuming that you can get a non-goofy username) seems more likely to be stable in years to come.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the huge problem with email is that it is so relaxed and unprofessional in the first place. and every one is biased in some way, some people are going to see @mac.com to be better and more professional than @yahoo.com simply because one you pay for and one you dont, i dont like ISP addresses either for the same reason you give, and what if you switch companies? i agree that so long as the name looks professional who cares what service you use so long as its not @yousuck.com or something like that

8. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I’ve thought about asking this before, but I worry about “burdening” the interviewer or others in the company. The most I’ve ever done is take a guided walk-through of the company (even this seems like it would burden others). rdowns – what was your response to her? When in doubt, is it better to be gutsy or considerate?

9. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I prefer PDF and would recommend that. Everyone can read them and the formatting is consistent.

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Just my opinion but as I often tell sales and marketing people in my company, if you have a stigma attached to something, chances are many others do too. Maybe free email was a poor choice of words, hotmail and yahoo carry a negative stigma with me. Gmail does not.

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I don't see it as a burden. As I said, hiring and training are expensive for a company and no one wants to enter a job blindly. Both sides want a good fit.

As a rule, we have potential salespeople sit with a rep or two for about an hour so they can see the job in action, so to speak. Some have thanked us for our time and said it was not for them. Sure beats the new person who goes to lunch on their fourth day and doesn't return. It seems to work very well for us and applicants might ask questions of other reps that they wouldn't ask me or another employee who interviews for me.

My answer to her, absolutely! Makes sense as a marketing position involves selling and she can see the product our reps sell to consumers. Her job would be selling us to related web sites. She is coming in tomorrow from 9:30-12.

I say be gutsy or as Apple might say, Think Different! If you want to ask a potential employer to hang around for a couple of hours, try, I know how expensive it is to hire and train someone and if you don't object, I'd like to spend some time here to make sure we have a good match.

12. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Sorry jefhatfield

Didn't mean to hijack your thread here.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Interviewing is hard, from both sides. Over the last year I had my first opportunity to hire a couple of assistants (my boss let me interview and make the call) and I have been on many an interview from the interviewee position. I gotta say, it's tough. I was careful to hire personalities I thought would fit in with both me and our office. That meant I turned down some people who might have been more qualified but didn't seem to have the same values or interests we have here. I had to spend a decent amount of time training the n00bs, but I know they are reliable people who will put in a couple years here before they move on.

14. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I was a VP of Client Acquisition for a management consultant company and I too looked at quite a few resumes on a daily bases. I agree with a lot of your pet peeves, however résumés with years instead of months didn't bother me so long as they came from people with over 10 years of experience.

15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i noticed that someone said that email was informal... with the way monster.com and other job related websites are changing the face of hiring, email is a valid commniccaton medium.

also, i've never had any trouble using free email accounts. my gmail account was what i used when emailing my current employer, and my mac account is what i used previous to that.

fact of the matter is, if you're a qualified candidate, whether or not your email ends in @gmail/@yahoo/@juno/@hotmail isn't going to be a deal breaker

16. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

no problem here :)

it's very interesting to read the perspectives of hr people, line managers, junior managers, and job seekers alike

hr people often worry a lot about the law and that colors their perspective...line managers (exec vp, vp, dept mgr) have to worrry about how that reflects with their ceo or chairman...junior managers have to see how it reflects with their line manager...the ceo/chairman has to watch the bottom line the most...and the job seeker has to tailor their resume to the job