Yet another switchover story.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mistyz23, Feb 11, 2007.

1. mistyz23 macrumors member

mistyz23

I'm sure this story has been told over and over, but here's why I am switching to a Mac.

I've spent the last 2 years sitting next to my husband as we tinker with our laptops side by side. I can't count the number of times mine has made me so mad I really did want to throw it. My husband has really no problems with his G4. He even dropped it in a full bathtub and it survived with no problems.

The HP weighed 9 lbs. I don't care what the reviews of my model say, because they grossly lied in the true weight of the product. The reviews say 7.7 lbs but I weighed the damn thing on several scales. Anyway, it broke physically 5 times. I kept sending it back and back until the warranty ran out. It has been the same problem every time. This time it broke I refuse to put any extra money into fixing it. I'm buying a Mac.

I'll be going from a 9 lb 15.4 inch HP to a tiny, slim, aesthetically pleasing MacbookPro. The art geek in me wouldn't have it any other way.

It has been absolute HELL waiting for it to come though. Shanghai, to Anchorage, to Indianapolis, to Oakland, and in 2 more days, Modesto? Some great 2 day shipping. This is worse than waiting for Christmas.

Oh.. and THE best part. My friend just got a 17 inch HP with Vista on it and I was begging her not to. Pleading! Crying! Don't do it!! She calls me today and says 'guess what...Vista crashed, bad. I had to do a full reinstall and was literally teaching the HP support guy about what to do for the next person who had this problem'. She said that the help desk has been literally overrun with crashed Vista systems and it is taking 4+ hours per laptop to even figure out what is causing the crashes, let alone the fix.

Thank god I nearly dodged the bullet on that one!

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Congrats on your MBP, and welcome to MacRumors.

2 drink minimum. :cool:

3. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

i love these stories!!! thanks for sharing!! welcome to the boards! and give the update when you get it!!

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I too was in the same situation as you a couple of years ago.
    Since changing to a Mac (or in my case three of them !!) everything as been as sweet as a nut. No viruses, no system crashes, no mouse pointer freezes .... just pure bliss.

You wont regret "switching" ..... welcome to the wonderful world of Mac :)

FJ

5. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

The art geek in you should have bought one sooner!:p

6. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

7. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Wow.... Mac laptop vs. Bathtub, I'd love to hear that story!!

Hope you're enjoying your purchase!!

allison.

8. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

I hope the G4 takes the arrival well :)

I hope it arrives soon and serves you well, it's a very nice machine - enjoy it!

9. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I too would like to hear more about the bathtub and the G4.
    Enjoy your new Mac.

10. mistyz23 thread starter macrumors member

mistyz23

AHHHH!!! IT IS HEREEEE! Oh man isn't it pathetic that I couldn't sleep the night before it arrived because I knew the delivery guy was going to come by in the morning?

Its fantastic. Better than I expected. I'm really enjoying the new OS for me. It seems to be way more customizable than Windows. I remember back in the day when I thought it was amazing to use Windowblinds to put a skin on Windows. Turns out 'back in the day' you could already do that on a mac without constantly crashing. Hmmmm.

Update on the friend with Vista:
    "If this keeps going on I will return this damn thing and get a Mac. You'll have to teach me."

And I've already got volunteered to teach a girl in my class how to use her MacBook because she's had it and doesn't understand how to really use it.

I'm a total geek, so this is fun stuff. :D

11. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

no, it's not pathetic at all. :) i've done the exact same thing. you're alright.

you have more time to customize because you're not troubleshooting all the time. :p

it is awesome stuff. :) have fun converting all your friends! congrats!!!!

12. julierules11 macrumors newbie

hey,congrats on the purchase.i get really excited when my stuff is about to arrive too.

13. amycishere macrumors 6502

So how long did it take to get? Mine says it will get here in two days but I did free shipping.

14. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

treat that thing with care... you wouldn't want to have anything bad happen to it!

15. mistyz23 thread starter macrumors member

mistyz23

I don't ship with Fedex much and I didn't realize that they did not ship on Saturdays. It left the 'warehouse' in Shanghai on the 8th and landed at my doorstep on the 12th. It went from Shanghai, to Anchorage, to Indianapolis, to Oakland, then to Modesto. I was shocked to see how far away it came from, but I read other posts and its pretty much the norm.

All in all, I paid for the 2 day shipping but it really took a couple days more than that but that was my fault for not realizing the dates they ship. It showed up 1 day earlier than FedEx's tracking said it would. Hope that helps!

Thanks for all the well wishing. We were able to ditch our hellish router setup and just use the Airport now that we both have Macs!

16. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i love hearing all these switcher stories, but each time it makes me want to go out and buy a new mac. and i just got a new mac two months ago (!). btw, congrats on your macbook pro purchase. i want one, too.

17. mistyz23 thread starter macrumors member

mistyz23

Thanks! My friend is seriously considering switching over after messing with VISTA to no end.

18. Sarvis macrumors newbie

>Anyway, it broke physically 5 times. I kept sending it back and back until the >warranty ran out.

Consider yourself lucky, I have a 12" powerbook that, in the last year, went in for repair multiple times for the same issue or an issue they caused during a repair, was finally replaced with a new one, and that one has gone back twice now. Another Powerbook, same model bought at the same time, has been fine. My 4 thinkpads (Windows and Linux) have all been rock solid during that time.

So, while I like OSX, I don't pretend that the hardware is any better than anyone else's and don't make recommendations to others about that. I sure wish I could just run OSX on my own built-from-parts PC, legally. At least then Apple couldn't stick me with add-on AppleCare bills... or unusually high repair bills for their mediocre repair service.