Yet another X vs. Y thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrgreen4242, Sep 13, 2006.

  1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

    mrgreen4242

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    #1
    I really hate to make another one of these threads, but I've been obsessing over the question for a few days now.

    Ok, here's the situation:

    I have a 1.42ghz mini, 1gb, 80gb, SD, AE, 120gb miniStack, 19" Dell LCD. I love the setup, really. I just want some more 'juice' for a video project I am undertaking this winter, and also I would like Windows (both parallels and Boot Camp) for a little gaming and whatnot. Budgets a bit limited... so here are the options:

    1) Sell mini and whole setup, should bring in ~$700, pony up another $700 for 20" iMac (EDU pricing).

    2) Sell just the mini, ~$400, come up with the additional $350 for a refurb Core Duo + extra RAM.

    3) Keep mini to replace wife's Dell, drop the full $750 for a refurb Core Duo + RAM.

    Caveats:
    1) I really prefer the mini form factor over the iMac. I would make an exception for the 24" iMac if I could afford it, but it's not in the cards. I like my 19" LCD quite a bit.
    2) The mini is PROBABLY adequate for me... the 20" iMac is PROBABLY a bit more machine than I NEED...
    3) Can't go for the 17", as I'm unwilling to step down in display size.
    4) Replacing the only Windows machine in the house, esp. with something as QUIET and stable as the mini, is quite appealing.
    5) My wife doesn't really care about the computer... I'm just tired of listening to its fans, fixing it, and I am sure she will PREFER a Mac given time (she's used my mini and Wallstreet and likes them just fine, she just does some basic stuff now she's out of school that it doesn't matter a ton one way or the other to her. The switch would be as much for me as her.)

    So, what would you do? Maybe some outside perspective would help me.
     
  2. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2006
    #2
    My personal thought would be to replace the Dell. My parents have a Dell and it seems like it's always slowing down or breaking. Especially if she is comfortable on a Mac now that makes even more sense. But that's what I would do if you can come up with the money.
     
  3. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

    mrgreen4242

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    #3
    Ya, I can come up with around $700 for some upgrades right now (well next month), can likely stretch to $750. I've been leaning towards replacing the Dell, it's about 2-3 years old, which isn't bad for what she does with it, but it's about the same volume as my fridge!

    Since I have to wait about a month or so for the cash to free itself up, I'm hoping that the 1.83ghz Core Duo's will hit the refurb store at $699... $50 for 9% faster MIGHT be an acceptable median.

    The other thing I meant to mention is that we might get pregnant in the next 12 months (something we are discussing) so getting a machine now means not having to fight/struggle for the money to do it next year... or in two years... in other words, it's personally a good time to buy, and the machine might have to last awhile, which is one of the reasons why it'd be nice to ditch the Dell. But it's also a good reason to get as much power as I can afford now... Sigh.

    Thanks for your input!
     
  4. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #4
    That would be struggle for 18 years BEFORE college :D

    If you can swing the iMac 20" Core Duo 2 at education price, that would be your
    best move.

    Otherwise consider the Yonah Core Duo 20" refurb.

    Give the mini to upcoming grand parents, so they can shop for their grandchild
    with the least amount of trouble ;)
     
  5. j26 macrumors 65832

    j26

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2005
    Location:
    Paddyland
    #5
    I'd replace the Dell in the house and get a new mini. IT people don't likee maintaining 2 platforms - why should you. It would be just easier to have one platform.

    Either that or go nuts and get the best you can afford. If you're planning on a baby, you will not have spare cash for at least 2 years.

    Who knows, some poor sod might give you a couple of quid for the Dell to ease the cost?
     
  6. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

Share This Page