Yet more proof of the media bias

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Backtothemac, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

The USAToday had hired Ann Coulter to do the reporting on the Democratic national convention. They fired her before the convention though because they said she was to rash and controversial.

Yet, they have hired Michael Moore to do the republican convention.

What a joke!

2. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

yes. usa today is, in fact, a joke. ;)

but honestly, quote for quote, ann coulter is much more controversial than michael moore. i will say that she is at least twice as attractive as michael moore, though.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The fact that the networks are giving more time to the GOP convention than they did the Democratic convention is proof of media bias too. ;)

4. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

I believe you mean they are spending more time on GOP protestors than they spent on DNC protestors.

5. toontra macrumors 6502

Erm, could that be because there are more of them, like at LOT more!!!

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No Leo. Stop putting words in my mouth. You have no idea what I meant.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not the first time Ann Coulter's been canned from an assignment because of her mouth. "Slander" isn't just a book title to her, it's a way of life, and media outlets are naturally uncomfortable with that.

Moore says things that the radical right doesn't want to hear, but that's a far cry from some of Coulter's nutso pronunciamentos.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

USA Today is extremely conservative and cares only about money. The joke is your attempt to wring "left wing conspiracy" from a right wing rag. I'm sure there's more to the story than we're being told but in the end I'm sure it's about who is going to sell more papers and ads than about politics. If anything it should tell you that the misogynistic Coulter is well past her sell date and the RNC can't afford her negativity now that they know in their rotten ole hearts that gw isn't going to win.....

9. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Although I can't seem to find it now, I do recall reading mAnn Coulter's column that got **** canned from USA Today and I couldn't believe that she seriously thought for a second that any newspaper in the world would run it. The piece was just a bile filled venom spewing screed. The response from the editor to what were supposed to be witty observations was "I don't get it". The response from the rest of the editorial board was a unanimous decision to switch to any other conservative they could find, I think they settled on Jonah Goldberg (or Sullivan?).
    There are plenty of partisan pieces running in any number of newspapers every day, but what they have at least on the surface is some semblance of intelligence whether the view is from the right or left. You may not like Michael Moore, but at least he will deal with the facts even if the conclusions made are a bit sketchy for some to accept. I haven't read his column yet, or maybe it's not out, but I don't think it will be nearly as insulting as mAnn Coulter's.

10. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Found it...
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/2004-08-30-moore-gopamerica_x.htm

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That was pretty horrible. The man ought to be ashamed of himself.

12. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Who? For what?

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Moore. Just being sarcastic.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Anyone catch Peter Jennings late last night, covering the convention?

Rudy Giuliani had stated during his speech on Monday that the future of the Republican Party shined as brightly as that of the New York Yankees.

Jennings wryly noted that on Tuesday evening, the Yankees lost to the Cleveland Indians, 22-0, in the worst defeat in Yankees history.

Media bias! Media bias! :D

15. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

You want to see a joke? Check out the column that Coulter wrote for USA Today. It is absolutely incredible that Coulter thought ANY mainstream newspaper in this country would run this column. Of all of the horrible pundits I've heard over the years, Coulter is the one I would choose to silence, if I was given the opportunity. She truly does a disservice to our country.

How's that for journalistic integrity? Ha! :rolleyes:

Taft

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

by sticking to anecdotal evidence, i can "prove" that blacks shoplift and the chinese run the drycleaning industry.

bttm, if you really want to prove a liberal media bias, you're going to have to produce a reputable study. i've looked, and you won't find one. all the studies i've seen point towards a conservative bias.

sadly, i won't be able to see Leo's response that it's all a left-wing conspiracy.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Holy crap.

That woman is nuts. I'm not being flip; I'm completely serious. I've seen some of her stuff, and this has to rank as the worst of the worst. She needs some heavy-duty mental help.

It's a wonder that even her publisher doesn't cut her loose. Guess all that pretty money coming in from the other head cases that buy her books is too lucrative to give up.

18. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Bingo. It amazes me that so many Americans would listen to her ramblings as to send her to #1 on many book lists. God help them, for they listen to a fool.

Taft

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Let's compare the Moore and Coulter articles. Moore, though he is sarcastic, prefaces his barrage with what appears to be a genuine sentiment that we all love America. Coulter, on the other hand, calls Democrats the Spawn of Satan.

OK. Yeah. Mmhmm. :rolleyes:

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

must...resist...to...post..picture...

http://www.townhall.com/acimgs/webimages/gun.jpg

ahh sorry

21. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Thanks, that says it all right there!

Anybody who is at all savvy knows that the media is ALWAYS biased.

In this country, however, it is always right of center.

I gave up on the American media long ago - nothing but a big (and sad) joke.

22. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Because we seem to need reminding

A very good link

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Stu...<sigh>...

I am sure more children believe there's a Santa Claus than don't, that doen't make it so.

A majority of people once thought that Saddam was directly involved in 9/11, which is obviously false. A fair percentage still think that, despite the reality.

Was it sooo hard not to just talk about the relative merits of the elimination of certain deductions in a hypothetical tax plan, regardless of it's nature as a hypothetical?(in the other thread)

24. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

The subject here is media bias, not santa. But if you must, most people believe in God as well. Most people in the US don't want gay marrage, Most people in the US don't like higher taxes.

Maybe you can start a "what most people believe" thread. I am sure it will be VERY entertaining.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly