Yikes! Did I really just erase everything?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iRhyknow, Jan 28, 2007.

1. iRhyknow macrumors member

iRhyknow

I was transfering some pics in iPhoto over our wireless network when i decided it would be better to rename our computers. I renamed the house icon in the finder window and the hard drive icon, and restarted the two computers.

NOW EVERYTHING IS GONE! :eek:

please tell me I just need to find my old hard drive or something... :(

It is like the computers ae brand new. There is nothing in iPhoto, iTunes, nothing anywhere.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You have renamed your home folder by the sounds of things. It should still be there under the name you called it. You might not be able to change it back as your Mac may have created a new home folder for you. Take a look in /Users/

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Don't panic, everything is still there.

Never, ever change the name next to the house.

To fix it, see here:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107854

4. iRhyknow thread starter macrumors member

iRhyknow

Thanks so much!!! However I'm a little confused about what exactly its telling me to do :eek:

Locate the new home directory, which bears the users' short name.

thats the house right? if so it has my name under it but I cant reanme it?

Add "_new" to the new home directory's name.
    Rename the old home directory to the user's correct short name.
    Log out and back in with the affected user account.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

ok,

1) Open a finder window.
    2) Navigate to /Users/. Best way, click on your hard drive icon, then on Users.
    3) Inside the Users folder you see several folders, one will be what your House used to be called and one will be what you changed it to.
    4) Find the one that bears the original name, and rename it in some way (for example, by adding _new to the end)
    5) Find the one that bears the name you changed the house to, and rename it back to the original name.
    6) Log out, log in

For example, if your house was originally called Bob, and you renamed it to Robert. Then when you go to the Users folder you will see a folder called Bob and a folder called Robert. Rename the folder Bob to Bob_new and rename the folder Robert to Bob. Then log out and log in.

6. iRhyknow thread starter macrumors member

iRhyknow

Now that makes sense.

BUT, on the MBP there is only one folder and it is named the NEW name and it appears to have evrything in it. The house appears to be the OLD name. The other folder is named shared.

On the iBook it has the two folders just as you had explained so very clearly. BUT, I am getting a message telling me that "I do not have sufficient privilages to rename" the old folder.

THANKS SO MUCH !

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you only have the folder with the NEW name on your macbook, then rename it to your OLD name, log out and log in.

On you ibook, if you get info (Apple+I) on the folder, you can change permissions so that you can rename it.

8. iRhyknow thread starter macrumors member

iRhyknow

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. :)

The MBP is restored to normal! The ibook still wont cooperate. But im just going to reinstall Tiger and pull my info from the MBP via Firewire during the initial setup.

Thanks so much.