Yikes!!!! dirty dirty ibook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stevietheb, Jun 17, 2004.

1. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Proud owner of a white, dirt-catching iBook...and am seeking cleaning help. At first, I thought I was just going to have to deal with the stains on the palm rests (what's best for cleaning those?). Now, however, I didn't realize it as I was working, but I apparently got some red ink on my hands from a pen I was using--so now there are little red ink spots on both the palm rests, and the TRACKPAD!!!

Anyone have any advice for cleaning that up?

Thanks!

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Anyone suggest rubbing alcohol?

meh, I just use LCD wipes from Wal-Mart on my entire book. Though mine is painted metal instead of teh plastic.

3. veedubdrew macrumors regular

Use a white pencil eraser. I know it sounds bizarre, but when I had an iBook it cleaned it up like a charm. Be sure not to get eraser shavings into the keyboard though.

-Drew

4. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Even on the trackpad?

5. veedubdrew macrumors regular

That's what I used on the trackpad and it came up white and purdy. A white pencil eraser (a soft one!) works great on dirty iPod scroll wheels as well.

-Drew

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Well, I own an iBook, and even though it's not dirty at all, upon recommendation of other iBook users, I still bought a "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser". I haven't tried it yet, but apparently it works wonders. If you try it, let us know! :)

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have a powerbook and i know the recommended cleaning for it is a damp cloth when the whole thing is powered off and the battery removed, it works for me, check the manual that came with it to see what apple reccomends for cleaning just to be sure

also, i know that you should NOT get any moisture on the trackpad because that can mess it up completely, so you might be out of luck when it comes to cleaning it...

8. bionic_leg macrumors newbie

Dirty Ibook.

I can confirm that the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser does wonders for the ibook palm wrest area. it also cleans just about everything else you can think of. I noticed my wrist wrests were becoming yellow, but the magic eraser took care of it. now it looks new!

9. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

those to work wonderfully, though I haven't tried it on a 'book.

10. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser took off dirt, grime, and ink! Very nice. Thanks all.

11. furrina macrumors regular

blecch, what squalor! :eek:

Tip: Using a mouse helps keep the track pad clean.

12. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser also worked like a charm for me. It worked perfectly. You buy like two little foam pads for about $3. You dampen one. You rub gently on the iBook. Presto.

13. mfarley macrumors newbie

Alright, the link to the eraser doesn't work anymore. Where did you/can you pick one of these things up as I am in dire need of it. =)

14. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Check your local supermarket.

15. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Yup, they should just be located in the cleaning isle of the supermarket.

For anyone in Australia looking for them they're called Chux Magic Eraser and come in a pack of eight.

16. mfarley macrumors newbie

Will do. And BTW, nice to meet a fellow Bay Area member. I have a home in Orinda which I'm at 5 days a week.