Yikes (PS3 Ad with Baby Doll)

Discussion in 'Games' started by clayj, Nov 26, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Just saw this commercial on Fox during the Bears/Patriots game... creeeeeeeeeepy.

If Sony is trying to win awards for creepy commercials, they're doing a fine job.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I haven't seen that one, but Sony released some crazy as hell PS2 ads ("Welcome to the third place") that had some man with a duck on his head walking around some cobwebby looking places. No relevance to gaming at all.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The ad premiered a month ago during the World Series and has been in particularly heavy rotation for the last few weeks for obvious reasons. Be thankful you've only seen it once (or not it all)...I've lost track of the number of times I've wanted to stab myself in the eyes.

4. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

who thought that would be a good idea for an ad? who wants to buy a system that makes children cry?

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yeah but the only commercial you really ever saw on TV (in the US at least) was the "PS9" one, which was pretty cool.

The possessed baby PS3 commercial is just creepy, weird, and only really preaches to the choir.

6. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

its a creepy commercial, probably scared a few younger PS3 fans away:D

7. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I just youtube'd the ad and holy sh*t that is creepy!

What ad agency did that? Probably the same people who made The Ring.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hahah. Showed my mate who I might be buying the 360 off

Echoed here too. How about gameplay vids or people playing the system? Sorry, that's too logical.

9. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I quite like the ad :)

But sure as hell won't sell PS3s.

To be honest, all Sony have to do is make people aware that the PS3 is out, and they'll bucketloads. Hence the strength of the Playstation brand.

10. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

So... it doesn't matter that the console is overpriced, impossible to find, buggy, and incorporates some questionable design decisions. PS3 fanboys will buy it anyway. Right? :rolleyes:

11. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Yep. 'Fraid so.

12. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

yeah, all 3 of them.

13. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Anyone else getting that 2001 feeling, talkk black monolith.

Almost thought the baby would start smashing something.

14. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

the other ones are not bad, kinda cool with the rubik's cube and RFOM

15. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

That's a horrible advert and what's the point anyway?? It doesn't seem to appeal to any generation at all. I guess they don't use any gameplay videos because there's nothing worth showing right now.

I've got a feeling that Microsoft is gearing up for a big anti-PS3 push. Something along the lines of $399 vs $599 and 200 games vs 20. They'd be daft not to.

16. nitynate macrumors 6502a

17. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

If you think that commercial was creepy, just look at the price tag!

18. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Overpriced? Not really when you consider what you're getting. It's not just a console, it's a Blu-Ray player as well. I've already got my perpetual flow of BD movies coming in from NetFlix (can't wait to actually start watching them, heh.)

Impossible to find? Difficult, yes. But those who thought ahead walked into EB on launch day and walked out with a new PS3.

Buggy? Agreed. I'm getting my second unit tomorrow. Last night a friend of my son brought over his PS3 and we discovered what the problem with mine was (connector interface seems to be flaky and it can show up over component).

Questionable design? Another yes. And that includes that scaling issue - which doesn't affect me and my 4 year old HDTV, BTW. My 1080i box accepts 720p and converts it to 1080i. Surprised that so many people are having an issue with it. Seems to me most of the bashing is being done by people that don't even own a PS3. Why get so passionate one way or another over an entertainment console :confused: XBox 360 or Playstation 3. Whatever works for you. Have fun. That's what it's all about, right?

Anyways, I thought the commercial was creepy as well. Didn't make a lot of sense to me and they surely spent a ton to run it in those time slots...

19. Virtualball macrumors 6502

Lol, I don;t mean to sound like an ass, but the commercial was very succesful, Sony got you guys. The whole reason that ad was shown because Sony seems to like the idea of "any publicity is good publicity." They have you talking about there product, don't they? Sony seems to believe that concept strongly and, in the end, it worked. Didn't it? Look back, don't you remember the "rascist ad" for the PSP, or the countless stories about what CEO's said, the boomarang controler, or the fact that they made the SIXAXIS after the Wii was unveiled? It had everyone talking. Now, think about 6 seperate times where everyone talked about the Wii like this?

Sony's Ad tea are very smart. There ads spur controversy and conversation.

Now, after saying that, I agree, the commercial is creepy, especially the laugh! I don't understand the concept behind it, unlike the other two. The rubix cube was supposed to show how intellegent and powerful it was, and the SIXAXIS was supposed to show you a "rebirth" of the console (birds).

20. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Is it really necessary to advertise something like the PS3? I thought you advertised to sell out a product.... but I'm sure that would have happened no matter what Song did to screw it all up... :D

21. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Shame all the people talking about it can't actually buy one! Its also funny how the Wii doesn't need controversy to have people talking about it. Somehow I think "Did you see the fun those people playing the Wii were having?" is a bit better than people seeing "Did you see that creepy Sony advert?".

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

um, you do know that doesn't always work right? Any publicity does not mean good publicity. It can work when advertising people (an artist perhaps) but when it comes to a giant business it certainly doesn't work.
    We're not talking about how great the product or advert is, we are criticising it and further cementing our decisions not to buy one. So many posts and threads about how great the Wii is, yet the only PS3 one coming to mind here is the advert thread (negative) and the Resistance BluRay thread (also negative). This is not good.

Haha. Actually where have you been recently? Sony have been slipping up big time over the past year or 2. The Press here are basically laughing at them, which turns away customers. If you constantly hear something is bad you avoid it. Just look at the backlash Sony are getting.

Your logic and that "any publicity=good publicity" is greatly flawed.

23. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

haha that is DEFINITELY a jab at us apple-fans. anyone else notice? :)

24. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

No, the commercial wasn't successful and cannot be contrued as successful until a year or more from now if Ps3 systems are outselling everyone else's systems. The mere fact that anyone is talking about the Ps3 doesn't have jack squat to do with the commercials, because most people are gamers and would talk about it anyway, or have read articles overheard general public distaste at the fact that a) the system is expensive, b) in short supply, and c) underdelivers compared to the competition (if you believe what people are saying). The only talk that myself (and many others) have done about the commercials is that they show no gameplay (the initial 3 didn't...the doll, the rubiks cube and the eggs/crows) and are generally stupid commercials. Those lame commercials won't make me go out and buy a Ps3, so again, no the commercials did not make the system a success.

Sony hasn't won squat. No one has won squat. Do you really think that the Ps3 being sold out has any bearing on the game industry as a whole? Because it doesn't. They could release twice as many systems and they would've sold those as well because the people who bought Ps3 systems were planning on buying them anyway no matter what they costed or how hard it was to find one for sale. Until they start getting millions of millions in their userbase, they cannot consider it (or anyone's console) a "success".